GOP calls police on Democrats

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv...m?nav=hptop_ts

From an AP article

Quote:

Committee Chairman Bill Thomas, R-Calif., summoned police because he thought the lone Democrat to remain in the room, Rep. Pete Stark of California, was speaking out of line, other Republicans on the panel said. He asked police to remove Democrats from the adjacent room, but later rescinded that request, the Republicans said.

Assistant to the Sergeant of Arms Donald Kellaher, called in to mediate, said that "clearly the police in this circumstance have no role or authority to intervene."

Perhaps the Republicans should read Article 1, Section 6 of the US Constitution.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 53
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Don't forget that they called the Dept. of Homeland Security on the Dems in Texas.
  • Reply 2 of 53
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Republican freaks. I'll just laugh the next time someone tries to argue that the Republicans aren't in favor of an authoritarian police state.
  • Reply 3 of 53
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

Originally posted by giant

Don't forget that they called the Dept. of Homeland Security on the Dems in Texas.

They did?
  • Reply 4 of 53
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    It'll get worse as we get closer to the 2004 election. They're afraid.
  • Reply 5 of 53
    Who's "they"?
  • Reply 6 of 53
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Scott read the thread title. Wow Bush is liberating Iraq. Now who's going to liberate the US? We have an authoritarian government with WoMD that is invading and threatening other countries.

All this while N Korea has NUKES. Noookuylar.
  • Reply 7 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Scott read the thread title. ...

Yea I did the first time around. I'm still unsure who "they" are.
  • Reply 8 of 53
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

They did?

Yes, they (the GOP) did.
  • Reply 9 of 53
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Quote:

Who's "they"?

I'm confident you haven't been living under a rock for the last two months, so you must be liberal-baiting. Who exactly did call the DHS? I read that DeLay's office directly contacted the FAA. Did they also contact DHS? Did the FAA solicit DHS's help in filling DeLay's request? Or did the locals (Texas Rangers? GOP legislators?) call in the feds? In any event the buck surely stops with Tene..I mean DeLay (I must be developing a Bush Reflex), even if a legislator or ranger actually made the call.
  • Reply 10 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Yes, they (the GOP) did.

Are you sure?
  • Reply 11 of 53
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Are you sure?

Yup.
  • Reply 12 of 53
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:

Gentlemen! You can't fight in here! This is the AppleOutsider forum!

• Reply 13 of 53
    aries 1baries 1b Posts: 1,009member
    MMMMMMMMNNNNNaaaaaaahhhhh.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2003Jul18.html

During the mark up of Bill H.R. 1776, Stark (D) made demeaning remarks (profanity laced remarks) in a threatening tone (with threatening body language) (one Republican eyewitness claims that a physical threat was made) to McInnis (R). The committee chairman called the Sargent at Arms to restore order.

The Democrats who claim that the police were there to arrest them were apparently only asked to move to another room.

Now the Democrats are claiming that a great injury, a huge injustice has been done to them.

The Democrats out of power.... I am reminded of an alcoholic cut off from booze.

Aries 1B

PS: C-SPAN had the debate on this incident on television tonight. Pelosi has declared war on the Republicans. She's talking about Republicans the way that the Klu Klux Klan used to speak about African Americans.
  • Reply 14 of 53
    aries 1baries 1b Posts: 1,009member

http://www.thehill.com/story.asp?id=79

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,92361,00.html

During the mark up of Bill H.R. 1776, Stark (D) made demeaning remarks (profanity laced remarks) in a threatening tone (with threatening body language) (one Republican eyewitness claims that a physical threat was made) to McInnis (R). The committee chairman called the Sargent at Arms to restore order.

Now the Democrats are claiming that a great injury, a huge injustice has been done to them.

The Democrats out of power.... I am reminded of an alcoholic cut off from booze.

Aries 1B

PS: C-SPAN had the debate on this incident on television tonight. Pelosi has declared war on the Republicans. She's talking about Republicans the way that the Klu Klux Klan used to speak about African Americans.

PS1: Note that the fox news story mentions that the bill in question would mean a decrease in taxes. No wonder the Democrats are angry
  • Reply 15 of 53
    existenceexistence Posts: 991member
  • Reply 16 of 53
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    This farce is not "news". Does this sort of thing instill confidence in either of the two parties? I think there are some bigger issues (crises?) on America's plate right now.
  • Reply 17 of 53
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aries 1B

The Democrats who claim that the police were there to arrest them were apparently only asked to move to another room.

Aries 1B

Thank you.

The level of hysterics here never ceases to amaze me. Some choice quotes by some AI all-stars:

Quote:

Republican freaks. I'll just laugh the next time someone tries to argue that the Republicans aren't in favor of an authoritarian police state.

Quote:

Scott read the thread title. Wow Bush is liberating Iraq. Now who's going to liberate the US? We have an authoritarian government with WoMD that is invading and threatening other countries.

All this while N Korea has NUKES. Noookuylar.

This is but one of the tired, over-used and ridiculous arguments liberals use on a daily basis. "Republicans are taking my civil rights away! We live in a police state! Bush is Hitler! More importantly, ALL Republicans are facists!" Meanwhile, the same parties (read: liberals) sat idly by and watched the criminal Janet Reno slash and burn civil rights (and blow them up...literally), all while writing her monologue for Saturday Night Live.

Liberals can do this, but as a conservative I cannot call someone a Communist (even if he is one) without him screaming "McCarthyism!" A conservative cannot question a liberal's patriotism (even it should be in question) with her, again, screaming "McCarthyism!" and pointing back at the conservative and yelling out "Flag waving bigot!".

We don't live in a police state. No American citizen has lost his civil rights as result of the Patriot Act or George W. Bush (or John Ashcroft). Republicans are not facists. They, like most Democrats, are not racists either. We don't hate the poor. We're not war mongers. The fact is, we DISAGREE with liberals on these issues and their solutions/approaches. Since all liberals can do is argue about "fairness" and base their positions on emotion, they resort to name calling...which, by the way, is what liberals have been doing SINCE the says of "McCarthyism".

How about you guys cut the bullshit and have an honest discussion of ideas just one fvcking time in your life. Oh, wait...you can't do that...because when most people find out what liberals really stand for, said liberals lose elections.
  • Reply 18 of 53
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    *looks up*

It terrifies me that such polarized people exist in this world.
  • Reply 19 of 53
    burningwheelburningwheel Posts: 1,827member
    people are idiots, people suck
  • Reply 20 of 53
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

*looks up*

It terrifies me that such polarized people exist in this world.

:

Fact check: BR called someone polarized. [pinch]. Yep, still awake. Damn.