Powermac Internal Modem: Software or hardware

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
When you configure a powermac at the Apple store, you can save around 25 dollars if you de-select the modem. Just wondering if it's a software modem or hardware modem.

If it is a hardware modem, does it take a PCI slot?

Thanks in advance to all who answer.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    i believe its a software modem that is actually connected to the USB bus.

it certainly doesn't take a PCI slot.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    moosemanmooseman Posts: 126member
    ...I'm pretty sure its a hardware mdem as it is a little card that actually attaches to the mobo. It usually sits right next to the AirPort slot. And its also why you can BTO a PowerMac without a modem for $29 less.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mooseman

...I'm pretty sure its a hardware mdem as it is a little card that actually attaches to the mobo. It usually sits right next to the AirPort slot. And its also why you can BTO a PowerMac without a modem for $29 less.

of course, but, i dont know the technical aspects of it, but apparently some parts of the modem are virtually run in software or something...... i don't know enough about it but i think Apple uses a "software modem"
  • Reply 4 of 7
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

of course, but, i dont know the technical aspects of it, but apparently some parts of the modem are virtually run in software or something...... i don't know enough about it but i think Apple uses a "software modem"

When you BTO a PowerMac without the modem, is there still a place to plug in a phone wire? If this is the case, my guess is that BTOing without the modem simply means they disable the modem in the firmware.

However, my assumption is that the modem is on some kind of card that internally connects to the usb bus.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Guys, it's hardware.

Quote:

The internal modem for the Power Mac G4 (AGP Graphics) consists of two separate boards within the computer case. The modem itself is located on the main logic board and the filter board is attached to the rear of the computer. These boards are connected together with a small cable.

Here's a QT movie of how to replace the modem (2.6MB)

• Reply 6 of 7
    ionyzionyz Posts: 491member
    A friend of mine ordered his without a modem, saving him $30 (woo freakin hoo). He sorely regretted it when he had problems with his broadband and needed the phone line to fall back on. There is no place to find OEM modems, and if you did there is no modem jack on the back if you choose not to BTO it.

Save yourself some potential grief and leave it in.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    It's a software modem. It's a physical piece of hardware, and can be removed, but it is a software modem.

A software modem is a modem that does not have all of it's capabilities in hardware. Like a 'winmodem' for those who know what that is.

Back in the day they were hardware modems, Apple switched in the last two years. My Wallstreet has hardware, my TiBook has software.