Holiday Snapshots

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I just got back from a week in Bretagne (or is that Brittany), France and thought I'd share a few of the snapshots I took with you. Give me, and some of the others here, some gusto again, a bit of the beauty that is still to be found in some places. Anyway, these are snapshots, in that I would not have you think that I'm a photographer of sorts. A wannabe, maybe, but still. Not much to speak of in that department. The pics were taken with a shoddy camera from uneasy positions (oftentimes I'd just cram the camera into the vizor of my motorcycle helmet and try position the subject so that it might come off better than poor - needless to say, this most often did not work. Yes, I am frustrated in my photography). That said, I chose three random pics with no people in them (because, well, just because I don't see a place for my people on this forum).

The first picture was taken somewhere between Amiens and Rouens, on my first day towards the meeting place in southern Bretagne (I stayed with a few people in a rented flat near Vannes, if you must ask). Realizing I had never photographed my motorcycle, and seeing the opportunity cleanly during a small picnic out in a field off some Route Nationale, I, well, I took that pic. If you wonder, that is a 600cc bike that has served me very well (more than that even) over the past two years.

The second pic is one I took one a day trip to northwestern Bretagne, near a city called Perros-Guirec. The beauty of the trip I made that day (spanning most of the Bretagne region), and the sheer delight of motorcycling a full day on beautiful byways is one that will keep me going for some time to come, I am sure.

The third shot is one made on the southeastern fringes of Bretagne, near La Baule, on my last day there. What you see is one of many salt-winning grounds, laying in what the map reported to be a bay, but is in fact some kind of swampy area with a beautiful small elevated road running through it, giving gas-guzzling tourists (me, sad to realize, of course one of them) a broad view over the labouring local.

So, what do you think? Any snapshots you'd like to share about your holidays, or aren't you going? Or haven't you gone yet? What other places have had/will have/might have the distinct pleasure of accomodating a member of the AppleInsider elite? Tell me, tell me now!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    oops
  • Reply 2 of 14
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Hideous. How do people live in such an ugly place?

Seriously, though, that seaside pic is beautiful.

Cheers

Scott
  • Reply 3 of 14
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I'd love to post my pictures from my family's trip to Colorado, but I don't have any place to put them. The coolest thing about them is my brother brought a PowerBook G4 to the top of Mount Massive, the third highest peak in the lower 48 states. So I have three pictures of him sitting up there, mountain peaks all around him, playing with my dad's TiBook.

Anyway, there are some pretty spectacular vistas out there. We also went to Mesa Verde and got some pictures of the cliff dwellings there. If anyone has a place I can post these pictures, I'd really appreciate it.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

Anyway, there are some pretty spectacular vistas out there. We also went to Mesa Verde and got some pictures of the cliff dwellings there. If anyone has a place I can post these pictures, I'd really appreciate it.

I'd be more than happy to host these pictures, I've got room to spare. I'll pm you my email.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    A Holiday? You mean a Vacation. Crazy europeans.

I got so many mediore pictures that they are coming out my ass. But as an American, I'm not allowed to take vacations and even if I was I wouldn't travel beyond America because that's not how it is done here. So all I got is a few drab pictures of local scenery, or lack thereof. But maybe I'll see if I can put a few out there anyway from my weekend wandering just for der kopf.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Thanks to der Kopf, my pictures are now available for anyone who cares. Whoop de doo But thanks, der Kopf.

So these are my pictures from Colorado. My family stayed in Buena Vista for a few days, and most of these were taken in the mountains near Buena Vista and Leadville.

I'm on the left, and my brother is the idiot on the right running circles around me. We're at a pretty high elevation (nearly 13,000 feet) so I'm pretty tired and the air is thin. He's still prancing around though.

My brother and my dad decided to climb Mount Massive one of the days. It's over 14,000 feet high and it's an 8 mile hike to get to the summit, and another 8 miles down. Here's a beautiful vista taken from the top of Mt. Massive.

And another...

At the top of the mountain, my brother struck a pose resembling a Calvin Klein ad:

And of course he had to bring my dad's laptop with him:

Then we went to Mesa Verde for two days to see the cliff dwellings. A pair of signs told us some important information (namely to bring drinking water, but that drinks are not allowed):

And of course we had to get a shot of the spectacular Cliff Palace:

So, that's it. I hope you enjoyed it.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Mesa Verde is very cool. I've only been there in summer myself but if you ever see a picture of the Cliff Palace in winter you can see the snows covering the valley and common areas but the actual homes are snow free.

While still very beautiful, I'm always amazed at how small the Colorado 14ers are compared to the Cascade Volcanoes or the Canadian Rockies or even the Sierra Nevadas and so forth. The Colorado Plateau gives you a bunch of mountains with 5000, 4000, sometimes even only 3,000 feet of relieft and yet they are still 14ers. Amazing what a little upthrust can do. Not that it isn't still quite a huff and puff to the summit.

Anyway, that second pic is nice as well as the Mesa Verde pic. Good spot for a vacation, if you didn't get a chance you should visit Black Canyon of the Gunnison and Great Sand Dunes as well. I hope you got a chance to head West as well from Mesa Verde, pretty much all of Southern Utah bounded by 70 and 15 is sweet.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    Nice pictures you two!

• Reply 9 of 14
    sapisapi Posts: 207member
    Hey, we're going to Bretagne (Pléhérel-Plage) end of this week too.

Any advise for places to visit?
  • Reply 10 of 14
    discocowdiscocow Posts: 603member
    *hits the "Subscribe to this Thread" link*
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by sapi

Hey, we're going to Bretagne (Pléhérel-Plage) end of this week too.

Any advise for places to visit?

I kind of liked Perros-Guirec and surrounding landscapes (with the Plouharmel, tourist trap #1). That's north-west Bretagne. I heard good things about Saint-Malo and Dinar too (my brother told me, and his pictures seem to corroborate that story). In the south, Carnac is probably a must (the 4000 menhir stones are probably one of those things one must have to see, although they might be underwhelming to some). And of course, there are plenty of cool towns and villages (all near Vannes). How about the peninsula of Quiberon? The town of Auray is something which I reckon Holland has never seen the likes of. And I've heard great things about Concarneau, though I can't confirm that myself. All this of course depending on whether you like walking in small quaint old towns. You might be more of a wild nature person (maybe the cliffs of the Quiberon peninsula? or the cliffs and rocks in the Perros-Guirec region), or just a beach person (it is my uninformed opinion that the north might have better beaches, although it has a lot more tides (eb en vloed). Tides that literally clear up and set blank kilometres of beach twice a day. Nothing I'm used to on my lowly Belgian beaches.

In either case, what I did was followed the map: you know those Michelin maps? The roads that have a green band along them are roads that Michelin thinks beautiful, and I've found that they are ALWAYS right about that. My motorcycle trips were just collections of as many of those green roads as possible. That's an easy way to find good stuff. If you want to do more reading, there're always the guides. I hope you enjoy it.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    marsmars Posts: 51member
    I got a coupla pix from Honduras last week.....

• Reply 13 of 14
    sapisapi Posts: 207member
    just back from Bretagne.. thanks for the tips der Kopf.

We had a few great days, here's some pics..

• Reply 14 of 14
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    A Hong Kong subway train (MTR) at the end of the Sheung Wan line.

I posted these snapshots my sister took once before, I think...both after take-off from SFO:

Vietnam locals trying to sell fruit to us while on a boat tour

1 2 3 4 5