Granting non-admin users privileges

jbljbl
Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Is there some way to allow non-adminstrative users particular privileges? In particular, I would like to grant users the right to lower the priority of their processes without granting them the right to do anything else (in particular dig through my files). (By lower priority I mean set it to a lower number so that it gets more processor time; I know they can already give it less processor time with renice.) I vaguely remember reading someplace that there are ways to more finely control privileges but I don't remember the details.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Under UNIX users are always allowed to manage their own processes. I don't know if OS X is different.

IME it's not that important to mess with the priority. On a single user system that's not running anything the process that wants the CPU gets it. Setting the priority higher isn't going to move you from 95& to 99%.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    Priorities run from -20 to 20. Every system I have ever used allows you to raise your priority but not to lower it (unless you are an administrator at which point you can raise or lower anyone's processes). (Check out the man pages for renice and setpriority.)

It appears that I drop somewhat fewer frames when I run some animations I need to do for work at -20 rather than 0. Given that that is what I would expect, I haven't tested carefully (e.g., made sure that network activity was equated across tests). Maybe I should.