Fruityloops Type App for OS X?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I was wondering whether there were any music creation tools that were fairly simple to use, intuitive, not neccessarily feature packed and powerful as some of the high end products. I'm going to be going to Hawaii this Friday, plane ride is going to be about 12 hours so I was interested in creating some tunes. I use Fruityloops on the PC so that's my frame of knowledge right now.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 9
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
  • Reply 2 of 9
    idebaseridebaser Posts: 121member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by jchen

    I was wondering whether there were any music creation tools that were fairly simple to use, intuitive, not neccessarily feature packed and powerful as some of the high end products. I'm going to be going to Hawaii this Friday, plane ride is going to be about 12 hours so I was interested in creating some tunes. I use Fruityloops on the PC so that's my frame of knowledge right now.



    my man, get yourself a copy of Reason 2.5 (not only is it optimized for OS X, on the disc you get versions to load on OS 9 and windows)

    Racks and racks of virtual synths, samplers, drum machines, effects, and detachable sequencer...



    http://www.propellerheads.se/



    pretty much can find it in any music store, too (including online)

    run don't walk and say goodbye to your fruity-loops!
  • Reply 3 of 9
    ringoringo Posts: 328member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by serrano

    Soundtrack.



    Quote:

    Originally posted by jchen

    I'm going to be going to Hawaii this Friday



    Anyone else see the problem?
  • Reply 4 of 9
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Ringo

    Anyone else see the problem?



    Maybe he just wants to sample the local sounds?



    Anyway, after looking over the FruityLoops website, I'd have to say: go with Reason. If you're familiar with FL, you'll probably want the MIDI support and mixers in Reason.



    Soundtrack is really a looping program, rather than a mixer: you take sample sounds, alter them a bit, change the tempo and splice them together for your music. Mixers tend to have synths, drum machines, etc. already built in, which you then drop loops onto. With Soundtrack, you'd need drum loops already, and could add them in with the rest.



    So, Soundtrack would be the easier of the two for beginners, but if you're already using the mixer or MIDI elements of FruityLoops, you'd probably be more comfortable with Reason.



    For more discussion of Reason vs. Soundtrack, see this thread:



    http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=27982
  • Reply 5 of 9
    ringoringo Posts: 328member
    I meant that it probably wouldn't be possible for him to find a copy of Soundtrack by the time he leaves.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    idebaseridebaser Posts: 121member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Ringo

    I meant that it probably wouldn't be possible for him to find a copy of Soundtrack by the time he leaves.



    Can always drop the $$ on a copy of FCP 4! (student or upgrades are roughly the same)
  • Reply 7 of 9
    tiktik Posts: 57member
    Quote:

    my man, get yourself a copy of Reason 2.5 (not only is it optimized for OS X, on the disc you get versions to load on OS 9 and windows)

    Racks and racks of virtual synths, samplers, drum machines, effects, and detachable sequencer...



    I agree with everything here with the caveat that the sequencer is not useful for a whole song because you can't import vocals or samples, and the best of my knowledge and usage, you can't 'clip' or 'stutter' with it like you could with Acid or Soundtrack.



    I bought Live 2.0, but am underwhelmed with the unnecessary complexity of the beast. Being able to ReWire Reason into Live 2.0 is awesome, however. Hopefully a future version of Soundtrack incorporates ReWire.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    post removed
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Now, now, serrano.



    From our Posting Guidelines:

    Quote:

    11. Posting requests or information about obtaining pirated or illegally-distributed software is prohibited. Any and all such posts may be removed without warning. If the offending member continues with such posts, he or she is subject to immediate suspension from the forums for any amount of time the administrators or moderators deem necessary. Furthermore, asking for technical support for pirated software is also not allowed and will be treated in the same mannar as posts that directly ask for pirated software.



    Don't post information about pirating software here.
Sign In or Register to comment.