Css

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Does anyone know how to use CSS, I have never used it before, what d oi need to know, or do to use it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    scarecrowscarecrow Posts: 148member
    well... would you like me to put all of that right here in this post, or break it up?

Seriously...

What are you looking to do?

Most people first start venturing into CSS land, by using it for markup of their fonts... I would start there..

Need more info, to go further...
  • Reply 2 of 12
    ionyzionyz Posts: 491member
    W3 Schools have an good starter on CSS development. But asking about CSS is asking about HTML and just saying "what do I need to know". The most cross-browser friendly styles are that of fonts and colors.

The more you learn about CSS the more you discover you can't use effectively depending on your needs. For personal sites the skies the limit, but when you work for clients that need compatibility only CSS1 works out.

Give us a specific situation.
  • Reply 3 of 12
  • Reply 4 of 12
    macusersmacusers Posts: 840member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SCARECROW

well... would you like me to put all of that right here in this post, or break it up?

Seriously...

What are you looking to do?

Most people first start venturing into CSS land, by using it for markup of their fonts... I would start there..

Need more info, to go further...

Ya, i am just looking to do font markup and simple stuff like that, it is for my own site, so i can do whatever i want
  • Reply 5 of 12
    gargoylegargoyle Posts: 660member
    Try to keep your styles relevant to what you are showing, NOT how you are showing it.

I, and prolly many others, started by making styles called thinks like "bigred" and "boldblue". Then doing something like:-

Code:

<span class="bigred">Ewww some nasty error msg!</span>

what you should try and do is call them things like "pagetitle", "errormsg" and "subtitle". That way you can easily change the look/feel of your site with a quick change of the style sheet.

Hope this helps.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    macusersmacusers Posts: 840member
    Thanks guys, but i got it now
  • Reply 7 of 12
    I learned styles by using the original Netscape Developer documentation around 1997 i think while flying from Atlanta to San Francisco. I pretty much spent the majority of the flight on it.

Admittedly, I never used them much then, but now, CSS is practically object oriented HTML - as close are you're going to get to it anyway...
  • Reply 8 of 12
    shankstashanksta Posts: 96member
    Hey MacUser,

Gargoyle brought up some good pointers. I think that font styling is great with CSS but you dont really use its power.

Use CSS to replace tables on your site and unify it. CSS can really be a life saver there in that it can act as a dynamic template that is easy to code and a simple, small, file to link back to your main pages.

I recommend http://www.tek-tips.com if you have any questions. The site is amazing and covers every computer subject.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    We've touched on this in other threads, but I don't think we're ready to start using CSS to replace tables just yet. It's good to know how to do, but I don't think it is ready for prime time...
  • Reply 10 of 12
    ionyzionyz Posts: 491member
    Quote:

Originally posted by LoCash

We've touched on this in other threads, but I don't think we're ready to start using CSS to replace tables just yet. It's good to know how to do, but I don't think it is ready for prime time...

Not when clients say, "Oh I don't really care about compatibility" at the start of the project then later on remark "AOL users are having problems". Yeah, tell me about it.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    That's when you just smile and nod at the client, knowing very well that you know what is best for them If they can't see it, it can't hurt them

What's the absolute worst is when you get a call from a client and it goes something like this...

Client; Hey Jack, I'm in a hotel room in Chicago.

Me: Oh really, that's intere-

Client: Yeah, and I was looking at the site on this WebTV terminal and it just looks awful!

You can guess where the conversation goes from there. He conceded the WebTV user (all four of them) probably wouldn't be an issue once he heard how much it was going to cost to change.

*sigh*

Who the hell uses the web terminals at hotels anyway?