Powerbook G4 RAID

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
seeing how expansive the 17 inch is it made me think that there must be a lot of new free space inside the case.

it would be nice if apple added a second bay to the 17 inch whether for another battery, hard drive, even optical drive.

or perhaps they could have space for a 2nd internal ATA drive.... the first portable RAID... laptop drives are notoriously slow..... RAIDing them.... apple would have the best performing laptop without a doubt.... of course heat and power requirements would come into effect

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    um.... thats what the firewire 800 port is for i think.. thats what hoped for....

thanks,

m2
  • Reply 2 of 9
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    hardly as portable as having 2 internal drives
  • Reply 3 of 9
    true true... but hey we can't have evrything... i'm actually happy with the specs of the pb17in... but in another thread i read it says that the gphx card is mini pci .. now if that is true then i'm totally sold... as for hauling around a raid thats pretty heavy... but also if you noticed the pb has ata100 not 66 ... wonder how the new speeds will be... hope someone can test it...

thanks,

m2
  • Reply 4 of 9
    isnt the max on notebook drives like 24 MB/sec?

the move from ata/66 to ata/100 seems more like one of cost (100 probably cheaper now) than one for performance.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    as for price i don't know but seems like they are ahead... because you would be able to put the next gen 2.5 drives that run at 7200 rpm from ibm etc...

m2
  • Reply 6 of 9
    muahmuah Posts: 165member
    First, if you want faster drive access just upgrade to a faster drive. Apple uses the slowest drives around to save on cost.

Second, what kind of battery life do you really think a system with that many hard drives would get? An hour or hour and a half? You are NUTS if you think they are coming out with a RAID system for laptops.

He11, they couldn't even get the server raid system out the door in time.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    actually i know that they use 4200rpm drives thats why i have a 60gig 5400... and the performance of my old 40gig to the 60 gig is not that incredible... anyhoo thats why lacie came out with fw2 products.. i'm happy just the way it is...

m2
  • Reply 8 of 9
    [quote]Originally posted by muah:

<strong>First, if you want faster drive access just upgrade to a faster drive. Apple uses the slowest drives around to save on cost.

Second, what kind of battery life do you really think a system with that many hard drives would get? An hour or hour and a half? You are NUTS if you think they are coming out with a RAID system for laptops.

He11, they couldn't even get the server raid system out the door in time.</strong><hr></blockquote>

1. even the fastest portable drives are slow

2. battery life would be a problem but i dont think the drop would be near as drasic as you make it seem. maybe down to 2-3 hours from the 4.5 hour claim. but new battery technologies could always improve that

3. the 17 inch powerbook is hardly meant to be used strictly on battery power. it basically requires a desk and is meant just to be moved from place to place. as a result, I assume most work on it will be done when plugged in.

4. I dont think this will happen... i dont expect it.... i just though of it... there's a difference
  • Reply 9 of 9
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    [quote]Originally posted by applenut:

<strong>

3. the 17 inch powerbook is hardly meant to be used strictly on battery power. it basically requires a desk and is meant just to be moved from place to place. as a result, I assume most work on it will be done when plugged in.</strong><hr></blockquote>

This is why I expect it (or at least dual processors) to happen eventually. Currently I think it's probably considered unnecessary because the Mac portables perform well compared to PC counterparts so there's no reason to completely outshine the competition right now. Once the desktops are on par or better than PCs, the portables can be upped. Profit margins on those machines would be high and sales even higher...it is the growth sector of the market and a nice ace up the sleeve of Apple.

Instead of an internal second drive, perhaps the return of the drive bay would be better. Since it wouldn't be a RAID, you would lose the extra speed, but it does bring other positives.