Best freeware?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I'm relatively new to macs (1 year iBook user) and have just been learning the ins and outs. I'm a Computer Science major so I really love osx and the unix background. I'm wondering what everyones favorite open source unix software and any other freeware you deem a necessity for any mac user.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    For open source UNIX stuff, get fink and Fink Commander. That's a great way to start. Oh, if you don't have the dev tools installed, get 'em too. You'll need them if you want to compile any open source stuff yourself.

As for other freeware: Meteorologist 1.2.9. It's essential. I'm lost when it's not working. Sure, I could just go outside, but I like to know what the weather is like without having to do that. It's been flaky lately, but I still love it. SMX is pretty important too. You'll have to find that on your own.

Shareware: Launchbar, OmniOutliner, OmniGraffle. Have fun.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Over 100 views and only one reply. Come on people. I'll get you started because I do use a couple but I'm looking to expand (especially for a good dvd/cd title organizer). I use freeware vlc and gimp. Shareware weatherpop.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Freeware:

Mplayer (video player), Fugu (SFTP GUI client)
  • Reply 4 of 4
    gargoylegargoyle Posts: 660member
    Freeciv... Who need productivity when you have a game that can make time vanish!