Satellite Internet for Mac

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hello Mac Friends,

I'm looking for recommendations on one-way satellite internet services for Mac. All I can find are for PC only. Two-way satellite systems are available for Mac, but they're way too expensive and technically limited.

Does anyone out there do one-way satellite internet for Mac?

Thank you!

Steve

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    i am not sure i understand the point of one way satilite...could you explain?

so ur upload link is connected trhough a land line?
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

i am not sure i understand the point of one way satilite...could you explain?

so ur upload link is connected trhough a land line?

Yes, outgoing clicks and keyboard commands go out via a phone line, and anything coming in arrives by satellite. It's a pretty good system, but not easy to find a provider who is Mac-friendly.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    jccbinjccbin Posts: 476member
    I'm using direcway 2-way on my Mac, but have to use a PC for the satellite.

Direcway sells a modem that would work, but it costs more than a PC.

Check out www.skycasters.com for more info.

The PC system starts around $4-500. Word is that they are discontinuing the 1-way systems soon (little birdies in the industry told me this - but I don't know if it's true).

If you have Cable or DSL available, go with that. Satellite is a desperate measure in my opinion. (I'm 26 miles from the nearest other broadband)

The pc-less system uses a modem called the 4020, and they only sell it to businesses, or those who don't mind paying business prices (double the consumer prices).

It's lots better than dial up, but nothing near what DSL and cable can do.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    mbezzombezzo Posts: 77member
    Hi,

My dad was looking into this and came across this company. Their service won't be available until the beginning of next year, but it seems that it wiill be the best option next to paying 70+ a month for the mac compatible business satellite offerings, or using a PC. Their site has lots of info, and states the service will be mac compatible.

Matt