Project GreenLight season 2

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I am so addicted to this show, its alot better than last years season. First, I'm in love with the movie making proccess and its great to get a little closer view of it from the inside. Second, its just so entertaining to watch 1st time people get a chance of a lifetime and see what they do good and what mistakes they make. Anybody else watch?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    northgatenorthgate Posts: 4,461member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ti Fighter

I am so addicted to this show, its alot better than last years season. First, I'm in love with the movie making proccess and its great to get a little closer view of it from the inside. Second, its just so entertaining to watch 1st time people get a chance of a lifetime and see what they do good and what mistakes they make. Anybody else watch?

I participated in this contest. My film was fortunate enough to be one of the Top 150 finalists (out of thousands).

The problem with Greenlight, in my opinion, is the HBO show. I love the show and am addiction to it as well. However, the HBO producers feel that conflict is the only thing audiences want and they want it filtered like AccessHollywood. In other words, if you knew nothing about the filmmaking process, you'd get the impression that filmmaking is ONLY about casting. Therefore, 90% of the creative process that goes on is NOT reflected in the show. You don't see the creative conversations that go on with the cinematographer, the art director and production designer, the wardrobe people, etc. None of it. Zilch. What do we get? Shia learning how to drive a stick shift. Yawn!

I also find it interesting that none of the discussions about the budget made it on the show this season. Personally, I believe Miramax was caught off-guard last season when the budget crisis made it onto HBO. Not this year!

The critical side-effect of only focusing on the problems, disasters and personality conflicts is that the audience forms a negative opinion about the finished film without seeing it. The audience may or may not understand that these issues plague EVERY film no matter what. So, when it comes time to market and sell the movie, they're at a major deficit. Probably the saddest side-effect is that this REALLY REALLY hurts these neophyte filmmakers from every working in the industry again. And that's sad.

I just wish the show was far more balanced about the process.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    ti fighterti fighter Posts: 863member
    A belated Congratulations!

I agree that they do not focus on all the aspects of making a film, only the parts that caused drama, and yes they do this for entertainment value. It is a shame, but its better than nothing.

Quote:

The critical side-effect of only focusing on the problems, disasters and personality conflicts is that the audience forms a negative opinion about the finished film without seeing it. The audience may or may not understand that these issues plague EVERY film no matter what. So, when it comes time to market and sell the movie, they're at a major deficit. Probably the saddest side-effect is that this REALLY REALLY hurts these neophyte filmmakers from every working in the industry again. And that's sad.

See to me I felt like it helped me to learn that these issues DO plague every film no matter what. But yea just focusing on the negative makes the audience form opinions about the film makers that will interfear with how people view the film. I also agree on the point of who is gonna hire these people after watching them portrayed in a negative light. But I think its the fault of the winners just as much as hbo. If you had really serious minded people in there that didn't ask for land rovers and didn't change dialog without telling anyone it might be different.

On a side note I saw the film from the 1st season on hbo and it wasn't near as bad as they portrayed it in the series (it wasn't great either). I wonder if they went in and spent more money to fix it so miramax could try and still make money.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:

A belated Congratulations!

I agree that they do not focus on all the aspects of making a film, only the parts that caused drama, and yes they do this for entertainment value. It is a shame, but its better than nothing.

See to me I felt like it helped me to learn that these issues DO plague every film no matter what. But yea just focusing on the negative makes the audience form opinions about the film makers that will interfear with how people view the film. I also agree on the point of who is gonna hire these people after watching them portrayed in a negative light. But I think its the fault of the winners just as much as hbo. If you had really serious minded people in there that didn't ask for land rovers and didn't change dialog without telling anyone it might be different.

On a side note I saw the film from the 1st season on hbo and it wasn't near as bad as they portrayed it in the series (it wasn't great either). I wonder if they went in and spent more money to fix it so miramax could try and still make money.

I agree that it's better than nothing. But, if we're to enjoy future seasons of PGL Miramax needs proof that these sub-$2M movies can be profitable on their own. I think the HBO factor really hurts the chance of there ever being a PGL3. I'd love there to be a third one, but it may not happen anyway since it looks like Miramax is going to only release "The Battle of Shaker Heights" in three cities while also doing a simultaneous DVD launch. Odd.

As far as "Stolen Summer" is concerned, Miramax didn't shoot any additional material. That's the film they all made. And yes, it wasn't that bad at all. Which, to me, is proof that Pete Jones was correct when he said that HBO failed to show the good times and happy moments of the production...only the sh*t. Aidan Quinn also complained loudly about the HBO slant and their ultra-creative use of editing.

If you really want to experience Hollywood filmmaking, become a P.A. (production assistant) for just one film. You'll learn three-years of film school in three months. I swear.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:

Miramax is going to only release "The Battle of Shaker Heights" in three cities while also doing a simultaneous DVD launch. Odd.

that is weird....

I just watched you film, I like it. I'm guessing that you had to edit it down because of entry length rules in the contest.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:

I just watched you film, I like it. I'm guessing that you had to edit it down because of entry length rules in the contest.

Actually, "EXPIRED" was produced specifically for the Project Greenlight contest. PGL2 had a three-minute running time limit. Yeah, you heard that right, only three minutes to showcase your directorial prowess. At any rate, if you cut off the opening/closing titles you have the film I submitted.

It only cost me $1500 to produce and we shot it in one day using a Sony PD-150 and cut it on FCP. All the views out the set window were rotoscoped in Commotion, painted in Photoshop and composited in After Effects. All apps running natively in X.

We licensed the music from Universal, which is from the "Meet Joe Black" soundtrack by Thomas Newman. Unfortunately, this kept us from going all the way on the TriggerStreet festival. They wanted us to "own" the music, so we were disqualified after six weeks in the Top 10. Which was a bummer since some of the guys who actually run the contest felt we would've definitely been a finalist.

Know any fantastic composers who'll work bro bono?
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Northgate

Know any fantastic composers who'll work bro bono?

Hell I'll work for free it would be great to actually have the opportunity do something in film, its something I've always wanted to get into. I've been working with music and digital audio for about the past 6 or 7 years mostly as a hobby to keep my sanity opposed to my real job as an Art Director. As far as music, most of my stuff is of the electronic type, although, I can do convincing real instruments as well. I have tons of samples of real orchestra instruments (every note sampled and then mapped to a keyboard) that when played sound just like the real thing. I don't really have a lot of professional experience with sound tracks and scores, but I have worked on a couple projects, 3d shorts that went to festivals.

But anyway, hey if you ever need something I would be happy to give it a shot. Let me know, if you want PM me and give me an idea of the style of music you would want and I can try to put something together, just as an example.

Hope I don't sound too forward, it just sounds really interesting
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:

Hell I'll work for free it would be great to actually have the opportunity do something in film, its something I've always wanted to get into. I've been working with music and digital audio for about the past 6 or 7 years mostly as a hobby to keep my sanity opposed to my real job as an Art Director. As far as music, most of my stuff is of the electronic type, although, I can do convincing real instruments as well. I have tons of samples of real orchestra instruments (every note sampled and then mapped to a keyboard) that when played sound just like the real thing. I don't really have a lot of professional experience with sound tracks and scores, but I have worked on a couple projects, 3d shorts that went to festivals.

But anyway, hey if you ever need something I would be happy to give it a shot. Let me know, if you want PM me and give me an idea of the style of music you would want and I can try to put something together, just as an example.

Hope I don't sound too forward, it just sounds really interesting

Just email me: [email protected]
  • Reply 8 of 9
    i, fredi, fred Posts: 125member
    "Expired" rocks. It looks bloody fantastic at 640xwhatever.....I'd love to see a film print blown up for the big screen.

Wish I could offer more than kudos, though.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by I, Fred

"Expired" rocks. It looks bloody fantastic at 640xwhatever.....I'd love to see a film print blown up for the big screen.

Wish I could offer more than kudos, though.

Thanks bro. I appreciate it. I have to thank Project Greenlight for its existence. I didn't really have an ultra-short format film to enter into the contest, so we made EXPIRED. Since it was shot on mini-DV, I'm not sure how well it would blowup to 35mm. But, we're looking into it.

Thanks again for the kudos.