Shooting at N.Y. City Hall

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
"One person was killed and another wounded in a shooting Wednesday at New York's City Hall, and the shooter remains at large, New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg said."

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/Northeast...ing/index.html

"This is an attack on democracy," said Bloomberg.

\ This statement is a bit much I think.

Quote from NY1 - "We do not know how someone got a gun into the building,? the mayor continued. ?We have security ? obviously, there was a breakdown someplace."

Thank you captin obvious.

One of the people shot - "Davis, a 41-year-old former police officer, represents the 35th Council District in Brooklyn. He is also the founder of "Love Yourself: Stop the Violence,? a not-for-profit, voluntarily run organization dedicated to stopping violence in urban America. "

A bit ironic don't you think?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    burningwheelburningwheel Posts: 1,827member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ti Fighter

[B

"This is an attack on democracy," said Bloomberg.

\ This statement is a bit much I think.

[/B]

basically, i mean we don't even know the shooter's motive yet
  • Reply 2 of 8
    ti fighterti fighter Posts: 863member
    he goes on to say -

"This is not terrorism -- it appears to be a random act."

I really don't see how this could be random.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Random, no. It seemed to be targeted, probably personal.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    here (appleinsider/appleinsider, if you dont have an acct) is the nyt article. they found and shot the assailant.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thuh Freak

here (appleinsider/appleinsider, if you dont have an acct) is the nyt article. they found and shot the assailant.

they didnt find em... they shot him in the balcony immediately following the initial shots.

this story has been pathetically covered by the national media.... so many errors and assumptions.

and as for Bloomberg's comments.... he's a horrible public speaker.... he just says the wrong things all the time.

I dont have an exact quote but he said something along the lines of this being the hardest day in his life and city hall in his 61 years and as mayor. There's just no need for a comment like that. Especially considering what the last mayor went through.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    I'm not sure if I have the story straight. He walked in with the guy who shot him, this Askew guy. They got to the balcony when Askew pulled a gun and shot him repeatedly, then a plain-clothes cop shot and killed Askew. Those were the "only" 2 shot, yes? There's some sort of terrible story about how the killer planned this, his motivations, their relationship that apparently went way beyond political differences. Why were they even together for the session?

I work with the brother of one of the City Council members, got a call just after I read the first report on CNN at work. He's OK, his brother the Council member is in something of a state of shock, rather cold, though he was about his wits.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    burningwheelburningwheel Posts: 1,827member
    according to the story on CNN, they don't make counsel members walk thru the metal detectors! unf_ckin' believable. i smell a lawsuit
  • Reply 8 of 8
    I wouldn't be surprised if at least one or two of those people threw a fit at the "demeaning" idea that they be subject to such scrutiny as well.