Need to buy a mac..have 1.5 hours to decide what one to get!!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hello!!

I just sold my Ti book, and need to ship it out tomorrow, so I need to go out and get something else to put all of my data on. I was holding out for a rev b 12", but since those seem a million miles away...I am just going to do it.

I am deciding between...

A 12" powerbook (combo and so on)- $1600

A 1 ghz eMac (I am a student) and thus can get it with 512mb for just under $1000

Or the 1.25ghz tower. I do have an old 17" crt, which would do for now- $1330 with extra RAM.

I need to leave here at 6.30 to pick one up at the Apple Store....HELP!!!!!!!

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    Quote:

Originally posted by scotio

Hello!!

I am deciding between...

A 12" powerbook (combo and so on)- $1600

A 2ghz eMac (I am a student) and thus can get it with 512mb for just under $1000

Or the 1.25ghz tower. I do have an old 17" crt, which would do for now- $1330 with extra RAM.

2GHz eMac? Really?!? I want one.

But even at 1GHz, the eMac is a good deal. Go for it, unless you need expandability.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Combo drive 12" pb's are $1399 with ed discount. Another $100 off if you've got an MBNA card. $1299 for a 12" pb. Not bad.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    scotioscotio Posts: 40member
    Yeah, sorry about that!

I think that you may be right...it is the cheapest of the options and I was thinking it might be kinda cool to be responsible for once.

\

I know this is silly, but it is just about as sexy as Christopher Walken in a french maid outfit!
  • Reply 4 of 14
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

Another $100 off if you've got an MBNA card.

Where is that mentioned? Haven't seen that one.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Sorry...no credit for lil' old me! :-(

SO that is one vote for the eMac and one for the PB?

Nobody seems very into the 1.25 G4 towers...I have not heard from anyone who has bought one yet.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

Where is that mentioned? Haven't seen that one.

http://www.apple.com/promo/mbnafas/

edit: damn it, I missed the confetti and streamers for my 2500th post.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    PB if you are going to be into portability--way into it--like you were with the 15". (?)

The G4 sounds cheap and easy, and would give you the biggest speed bump from the 15".
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Quote:

PB if you are going to be into portability--way into it--like you were with the 15". (?)

To be honest, I really like the idea of being into portability, but in reality, the PB sat on my sesk 90% of the time.

It has been years since I last had a powermac (think B&W G3's) and on some level, it does sound enticing.

Will I really see a big difference between the ghz eMac and the 1.25 Powermac? I am a long time user (since 89) and am a little scared of the whole "i" or "consumer" line...should I be?

\
  • Reply 9 of 14
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    If you already have a 17" CRT... GET THE FRICKIN' POWERMAC.

Faster, higher RAM capacity, room for additional hard drives, an extra optical drive, and you can use whatever display you want with it.

If your CRT is less than 8 years old, it will have a higher quality image than the eMac.

If you had to buy a display, then MAYBE there would be some question... but out of the 2, get the PowerMac.

Although personally, I'd get the 12" PowerBook. Killer deal right now.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

http://www.apple.com/promo/mbnafas/

edit: damn it, I missed the confetti and streamers for my 2500th post.

Quote:

Electronic discounts are NOT valid at Apple Store for Education Institutions, Apple Store for Resellers, Apple Store for Canada Resellers, Apple Store for international locations, or any online custom store sponsored by Apple.

too bad, that woulda been good for me

oh and get the PowerMac
  • Reply 11 of 14
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    So, scotio... what did you get?
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

too bad, that woulda been good for me

oh and get the PowerMac

What's wrong with the deal for you? It's not valid on orders for educational institutions. Or did I misunderstand? It works for ed purchases for individuals.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    ah, missed that... hmmm that would be very nice
  • Reply 14 of 14
    OK, well, all I bought myself was a few more hours...I have until tomorrow at noon to get a system. Thanks for all the help guys!!

The eMac I think, is the best 'bang for my buck' as they say. Short of wanting to add drives (which I can do via firewire) I doubt that I could tell that and the PM apart. I just feel silly buying a machine that has already been replaced....

God this is soooo much easier in the windows world..."shall I buy bland shit made by compaq, bland shit made by HP, or bland shit made by dell"

Having said that, with all the troubles in the world, I am ashamed to admit that this is actually the biggest problem that I face in my life!