ATI 9800, America's Army, What to do?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
FYI:

A week ago, we reported that ATI had unveiled its Radeon 9800 Pro Mac Edition as a BTO option on Apple's new Power Mac G5. ATI has clarified its original press release, now stating that is Radeon 9800 Pro Mac Edition is a retail product, with a price tag of $400. It features 128MB of DDR memory and an AGP 4x/2x interface allowing it to work in any G4 or G5 computer. During WWDC, Apple announced the Radeon 9600 Pro and Radeon 9800 Pro OEM products. Both these solutions will ship in the G5 directly from Apple. They both feature ADC and DVI connectors. The 9800 has 128MB of DDR memory and is an 8x AGP-Pro card. The 9600 has 64MB of DDR memory and is an 8x AGP card

My questions:

If I get a current or last gen G4 (dual 1 Gig maybe) with 1.2 GB RAM, will yanking the OEM GeForce3 and add the ATI 9800 card really help me play America's Army with better res, higher quality, decent framerates, etc compared to the default OEM NVIDIA card? Or say, a entry-level G5? I really need a killer Mac game box for AA (awesome game), but my old G4 800 w/ ATI 7500 doesn't cut it anymore.

Should I even try the 9800 retail version in a G4, or will the CPU and mobo even feed the 9800 fast enough?

The 1.6 GHz G5 is stuck with the OEM 5200 card, unless I BTO a 9600 or 9800 card, but as you know, Apples BTO times are HORRIBLE, and I won't even get the G5 until almost October!

So do I get a cheap dual G4 and add the 9800 (now),

or do I wait it out and get the G5 and BTO a cards (Oct?),

or do I get a G5 (Sept), yank the OEM 5200 and add a retail 9800 (more money)?

"Get a PC, you say". I know, but I need the Mac for other things besides games, So I need a Mac OS based computer (not just a gaming PC). And besides, building a killer gaming PC ain't as cheap as people think...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    A faster grfx card will get you faster performance in a dual ghz, yes.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
    Kickaha and Amorph couldn't moderate themselves out of a paper bag. Abdicate responsibility and succumb to idiocy. Two years of letting a member make personal attacks against others, then stepping aside when someone won't put up with it. Not only that but go ahead and shut down my posting priviledges but not the one making the attacks. Not even the common decency to abide by their warning (afer three days of absorbing personal attacks with no mods in sight), just shut my posting down and then say it might happen later if a certian line is crossed. Bullshit flag is flying, I won't abide by lying and coddling of liars who go off-site, create accounts differing in a single letter from my handle with the express purpose to decieve and then claim here that I did it. Everyone be warned, kim kap sol is a lying, deceitful poster.

Now I guess they should have banned me rather than just shut off posting priviledges, because kickaha and Amorph definitely aren't going to like being called to task when they thought they had it all ignored *cough* *cough* I mean under control. Just a couple o' tools.

Don't worry, as soon as my work resetting my posts is done I'll disappear forever.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    America's Army runs fine for me on a Dual 450 G4 with a 32MB Radeon. Secondly, I think the game sucks. The realism details are nice, but the online experience sucks. All the gaming kiddies online play it as if it were Quake. I still prefer Ghost recon, and running missions against the AI. At least then I can salvage the experience and be happy with a tactical first person shooter.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    Quote:

Originally posted by LoCash

America's Army runs fine for me on a Dual 450 G4 with a 32MB Radeon. Secondly, I think the game sucks. The realism details are nice, but the online experience sucks. All the gaming kiddies online play it as if it were Quake. I still prefer Ghost recon, and running missions against the AI. At least then I can salvage the experience and be happy with a tactical first person shooter.

I almost agree:

The kids are lame. No doubt. I have many forums on the AA site about this. Thats not AA's fault. Q3 it's NOT.

The AA developers are adding a coop gametype soon. They are also adding AI (bots, etc). I expect it to look more like GR soon. But better. I love GR, but Im tired of it. Maybe more Clancey stuff will make it to OS X. At least AA is FREE. :0)

They are adding more features any day now in 1.9 (Wolfenstein-style Medics, etc)

There will be a Mac OS X server tool soon! Play on a Mac, serve on a Mac.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Gaming PC.