Ash trees coming down.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
All the ash trees on my street are coming down.

All the trees on my street are coming down.

Those two statements are unfortunately equivalent. Well almost. Not all the trees are ash trees but all then ones in the grass strip between the sidewalk and road are and many of the others. They have the Emerald Ash Borer and they have to take them down to save them.

Normally I don't care too much about this stuff. It's an annoyance of modern life. Then they took down half the trees and the place looks bare. Used to be nice and shaded. Now I just see my ugly old apartment complex.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    that happened in our state with Elms. we had a serious problem with Dutch Elm disease. almost all died but one on our street.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I guess with the bugs they have to cut them down. I heard with Dutch Elm you can't find many elm in the "wild".
  • Reply 3 of 4
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    the sad part is there are elms native to north america that aren't susceptible to Dutch Elm disease, but everyone planted imports. my aunt and unlce (who lived next door) still have a huge, beautiful elm in their yard) if the bug is gone by now, there will be a lot of elms still around though, that thing drops seeds at an amazing rate, and those elms are damn hard to pull out once they get a foot or so tall.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

....they have to take them down to save them.

In order to save you, we have to kill you first !!

Like the euphemism.. " a humane death " ....

This site seems to suggest that D.E.D. (Dutch elms disease ) is also a danger to native american elms...

http://www.sdeda.ca/

Ps : Phytofera Cambivora is also known to cause similar symptoms to D.E.D.