Spend my money... Printers

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
OK, guys. I am in a pickle. I really, really need a new printer. I have a Epson Stylus photo EX, a good printer back then, but now I need higher quality. Although it is noisy, I had some great results with Epson printers and would like to stick to them. I do a lot of photo touch-up for family and get good results, but now some of my jobs are fading (bad inks?) and I have been asked to re-print them. I have a digital camera, a Canon D-60, and really like the compact flash/microdrive slot in Epson's Stylus photo 925. I don't have to edit every photo in photoshop and print them one-at-a-time. (because Paper roll/cutter & microdrive) It caught my eye and is within budget.

Now the problem. I would like to eventually do "professional" work (December-ish...Christmas cards?). I have seen the results of a Epson 2200 and love it. Great photo quality, 7 pigment inks, large format (well bigger than 8.5X11), and a bank-breaking hefty price tag of $700. I, being a student and all, will certainly be working hard to recover the money in my G5 fund.

What it boils down to is: "If I get the 925, will I regret not getting the 2200 in a few months? And is the extra $$$ worth it for the 2200?"

Printers

As far as I can take you in Epson's website.

Thanks.

-Ebby

8)

PS: Does anyone use either a 925 or 2200 here?

This would make a good poll. Oh well.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I'm buying one in about an hour. Last chance to spend my money!
  • Reply 2 of 7
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

I'm buying one in about an hour. Last chance to spend my money!

C|Net didn't give the 925 a very great review:

http://reviews.cnet.com/Epson_Stylus...ml?tag=upidmlp
  • Reply 3 of 7
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    i know that lately the Canons have gotten great reviews. for that kind of money i'd do a bit more legwork before buying.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Canon I950

That's tough for me to say because I've been an Epson fanboy for a long time.

Hopefully I'll end up with a Laserprinter and Inkjet within a year.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Other note... if you're considering the 2200, it's at Amazon for $650, and you can get a $50 certificate for future use I think.

Edit: Other places have it under $700 also

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_g...d6d201cd6654e6
  • Reply 6 of 7
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I heard great things about Canon printers too, but I am not familiar with their products. This may seem last-minute since I just posted this problem, but I have been looking for printers for a little over 3 weeks now. The biggest problem I faced was comparing epson and Canon print quality. All the stores I visited had either the Canon or Epson test printers with no ink! Lots of good that does me. I am now the proud owner of a 2200! My brother wishes I got the 925 since he is planning to get a small digital camera sometime soon. Oh well, he can buy it or look into canon printers.

Again, thanks for the help.

Unfortunately, I won't be jumping on the G5 train in a few months like you guys, but I will be following the caboose with a skateboard and a length of rope!

-Ebby 8)
  • Reply 7 of 7
    malokatamalokata Posts: 197member
    Second the i950. Though sometimes you have to play with it to get it to borderless-print because of their driver. Still the best quality for the price I've seen.