Internet Sharing between os X & 9.1 ??????

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
This is driving me nuts. I had everything working fine for about a week and i ran mac Janitor and now I can't share my internet connection with my sys. 9.1 machine. I don't know if that's the porblem or not but I did run that and now it doesn't work. Here is how i set everything up. By the way i'm using a crossover ethernet cable.

OS 10.2.6 is the internet connecting machine

TCP/IP

Using DHCP

DHCP CLIENT IS Blank

Internet sharing is on

OS 9.1 Machine

TCP/IP

Using DHCP server

Please someone tell me what i'm missing. This just doesn't make any sense...

Thanks in advance for anyones help

Scott

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I've never had a lot of luck between my OS X PowerBook and my wife's OS 9 iBook.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Moving to Genius Bar.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    gargoylegargoyle Posts: 660member
    Check you can access the net on the OSX machine, then the OS9 machine.

If you have problems, you will need a net tool for OS 9 to perform the following tests which will try to help you find where the problem is.

1.) ping 127.0.0.1 (this test the network card & tcp/ip stack inside the os 9 machine.)

2.) ping <IP of OSX machine> (This test the connection between the two machines.)

2.) ping <some known IP address on the internet.> (This checks that the OSX is working as a gateway.)

3.) ping <some known name on the internet> (This checks that the DNS is working on the OS 9 machine.)

Note You will need to find the name and address of a server on the internet that does not block ping requests. (www.appleinsider.com & 216.22.45.62 should do the trick. Just dont overdo it or they might thing they are getting a DOS attack.