Apple's First Website?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Just out of curiosity, does anyone where I could view this historic gem? The earliest I've found was early 1996.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    \
  • Reply 2 of 12
    I assume you tried the Internet WayBack Machine at www.archive.org, right? The earliest entry it has is from October 1996.

I don't think there are any other places that archive sites older than archive.org.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    i've seen a few BBS archives and usenet archives that go back farther...

in some phreak bbs cases into the 80s

might run across some comments on jobs/woz and captain crunch,

but not the actual apple corporate image in its earlier identities

archive.org would have been my first suggestion (love their collection of old film and tv).

recent threads -apple's worst tv commercial- revealed previously ungoogled collections of early pr,

so there may be hope yet

maybe you can find some eWorld content... that should be earlier
  • Reply 4 of 12
    francisg3francisg3 Posts: 168member
    I don't Apple's website has changed all that much at all. They're in line for a refresh.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Yeah, I was mucking about at archive.org. That is one of the best sites for serious time wasting, other than AppleInsider of course.

I love the old mental hygiene movies from the fifties in the Prelinger Archives. Creepy, creepy stuff.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by francisG3

I don't Apple's website has changed all that much at all. They're in line for a refresh.

Apple's website changed drastically after Steve came on board. If memory serves, it used to have "Apple" in Apple Garamond, a red stripe down the side, and then lots and lots of text. It was actually pretty interesting to go barreling through it, reading articles on all the aimless research the company was doing, and all the nifty technologies it hadn't yet orphaned.

The post-Steve web site is much cleaner, more visual, more sales-oriented. It's not nearly as much fun to go spelunking through (well, except for the developer pages) but it's a more immediately effective presence.

I just wish they'd can the crack-smoking speed freak who writes their product copy.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    malokatamalokata Posts: 197member
    On a related note, planetmirror has a really cool archive of every download Apple has ever released:

http://public.planetmirror.com/pub/apple/

I just downloaded iTunes 1, for kicks.

Martin
  • Reply 8 of 12
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Here's one from 1995. I've only got this scan from a Mac magazine, I haven't got the actual HTML...

How things change! The article it's from was explaining why a progressive GIF file looks terrible until it's fully loaded

Amorya
  • Reply 9 of 12
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Aaargh, just noticed - what does that screenshot I posted remind you of?

Amorya
  • Reply 10 of 12
    http://web.archive.org/web/199905051...www.apple.com/

I got an idea for a new ad compaign?
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

Apple's website changed drastically after Steve came on board. If memory serves, it used to have "Apple" in Apple Garamond, a red stripe down the side, and then lots and lots of text. It was actually pretty interesting to go barreling through it, reading articles on all the aimless research the company was doing, and all the nifty technologies it hadn't yet orphaned.

The post-Steve web site is much cleaner, more visual, more sales-oriented. It's not nearly as much fun to go spelunking through (well, except for the developer pages) but it's a more immediately effective presence.

I just wish they'd can the crack-smoking speed freak who writes their product copy.

And if I recall correctly, that red stripe down the side design was implemented in part by Studio Archetype, so they paid for it