5.1 Surround for Panther?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
So I just realized, in my own dumb slow way, that right now there's no reliable way to get true multichannel audio playback off any non-pro Mac setup!

Are we going to get, say, a new build of the DVD Player that doesn't auto-downmix the digital audio into 2-channel when Panther rolls round? (And will it be possible to actually get the audio data out of the computer using an existing USB interface?)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,438member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Shalmaneser

So I just realized, in my own dumb slow way, that right now there's no reliable way to get true multichannel audio playback off any non-pro Mac setup!

Are we going to get, say, a new build of the DVD Player that doesn't auto-downmix the digital audio into 2-channel when Panther rolls round? (And will it be possible to actually get the audio data out of the computer using an existing USB interface?)

Panther DVD player and G5 support Toslink Digi I/O. The only way you get multichannel here is Dolby Digital Encoded.

If you're looking for analog outs then you must get something like the PCI Revolution card from M-Audio.com. True Multichannel is useless for a consumer. DVD-Audio and SACD have both been hampered because of the need for 6 Analog connections. Musicians need Multichannel outs but then again they're willing to spend top dollar on Digi I/O interfaces with Adat I/O etc.

Consumers want an easy hookup. One Toslink into your speakers or amp and bingo. Done.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Panther DVD player and G5 support Toslink Digi I/O. The only way you get multichannel here is Dolby Digital Encoded.

Ah, thanks. Should have guessed - that big fat Toslink port had to be there for somethin'.

Definitely no need for analog outs for me, mostly because I run a TiBook and PCI cards have been out of the equation for a while, but also because at the moment all I would actually need multichannel for is Dolby Digital. Have some savings now to spend, and was deciding whether to put my music in my pocket (iPod) or let my music put me in its pocket (THX)

So the Sonica, Xitel USB-to-Toslink alternatives are going to be OK come 2 months (or whenever) from now?