Rap production on a Mac (DAW)

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I will be getting my first Mac in September (dual G5/23" ACD) and I have some questions about setting up a DAW. Although I've been using FCP since version 1 I am a complete novice in the area of music production. So, can anyone offer any advice/answer these questions.

1) What software (sequencer/synths...) should I use? I want to avoid using harware (too expensive) and focus exclusively on software.

2) Does anyone know of a good informational source (book/online) for learning Reason 2.5?

3) Is there any set-up that would allow me to record vocals directly onto a hard drive from a sound room/booth?

The reason for this interest is that I'm thinking of starting a music video/rap music production class for high school students, and while I am knowledgeable of the video side of things I know practically nothing about audio.

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Neruda

1) What software (sequencer/synths...) should I use? I want to avoid using harware (too expensive) and focus exclusively on software.

I'll list just a few software products each of which may well be enough, depending on your needs.

Sequencers:

Cubase SX, Logic Platinum, Digital Performer.

Synthesizers:

Unity family, Absynth, Reason.

Download demos to get the feel.

Quote:

2) Does anyone know of a good informational source (book/online) for learning Reason 2.5?

Sorry, haven't seen any.

Quote:

3) Is there any set-up that would allow me to record vocals directly onto a hard drive from a sound room/booth?

If I understand you correctly, all you need is either a USB microphone or a USB adaptor with an analog audio input like MBox, iVoice or iVoice 2 .

Check OS X Audio for more software, plug-ins included, and Apple's Made4Mac for hardware.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    mac+mac+ Posts: 580member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Neruda

I will be getting my first Mac in September (dual G5/23" ACD)

What an entrance!!!

Seriously, welcome!
  • Reply 3 of 4
    tigerwoods99tigerwoods99 Posts: 2,633member
    Yo, peep Propellerhead's site they have a bunch of tutorials and stuff about every single thing in Reason 2.5. If you want more stuff I would also recommend a trip to www.primesounds.com. Reason 2.5 is dope.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    nerudaneruda Posts: 439member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac+

What an entrance!!!

Seriously, welcome!

Well, actually I've been a Mac fan since 1995 and I've been using them at school since 1999. I've just been waiting (Pink, Copland, Rhapsody) for the G5 and for OS X to mature.

Thank you all for all of your help.