Weird stuff caught on tape

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
CBSnews has this neat little collection of "Caught on Tape", their latest entry being a singing dog that sounds like a screeching cat. Hilarious stuff and a great distraction from the realworld.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/...in563855.shtml

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    I was once trying to stop a leak from my shower massage sprayer with some duct tape, and I'd just finished my shower and hadn't gotten dressed yet, and I unrolled a really long piece of tape and...

Oh, you didn't mean caught on tape in that sense, did you?
  • Reply 2 of 8
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    I was going to do a "wacky stuff caught on tape" thing, but the cops weren't too happy about. Come on, a lot of wacky hijinks go on in girls' dorm rooms, right!?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    burningwheelburningwheel Posts: 1,827member
    the purple polar bear is cool

the horns on the bull
  • Reply 4 of 8
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    That "Slumbering Pilot" one isn't really that serious. My uncle was recently a co-pilot for United Airlines, and from what he's told us, the plane flies itself once it's up in the air thanks to computer and GPS technology. He said the only thing the pilots really have to do is get it airborne and then it will damn near land itself when the trip is over. As long as SOMEBODY is awake in the cockpit, it's all good. \
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

That "Slumbering Pilot" one isn't really that serious. My uncle was recently a co-pilot for United Airlines, and from what he's told us, the plane flies itself once it's up in the air thanks to computer and GPS technology. He said the only thing the pilots really have to do is get it airborne and then it will damn near land itself when the trip is over. As long as SOMEBODY is awake in the cockpit, it's all good. \

I've been lucky enough to fly in the cockpit of a few transatlantic flights, aboard both Airbus and Boeing aircraft. Most of the flights I have been on were 'hand-flown' for approximately 10-15 minutes of the 7 hour flight.

The planes can actually land on autopilot, at airports equipped with the needed nav gear, but the pilots have told me it's not the most gentle of touchdowns.

Most cockpit activity revolved around receiving satellite faxes with weather reports & connecting flight information. As we approached the destination airports there was much fiddling with the autopilot dials to adjust altitude and direction.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

When you hear snoring outside the plane..that means your way too close to the ground..

Famous last words of pilots

" Hey..I didn't know goats could walk in clouds...."

" What's that red button for...."

" We don't need engines..we can glid the last 300 miles."

" I practice night landings by keeping my eyes shut all the time..."

" Switch the stall alarm off ..it's giving me a headache."
  • Reply 7 of 8
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by audiopollution

I've been lucky enough to fly in the cockpit of a few transatlantic flights, aboard both Airbus and Boeing aircraft. Most of the flights I have been on were 'hand-flown' for approximately 10-15 minutes of the 7 hour flight.

Supposedly the only crucial sequence is the take-off and even approaches/landings can be completely automated at this point...
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

Supposedly the only crucial sequence is the take-off and even approaches/landings can be completely automated at this point...

Didn't read my post fully, huh?

I was told that manual control at take-off is to allow for fast reactions to runway interference and engine failure. There's still not a computer that can assemble such disparate sensory information as quickly as the human brain. Not even a dual 2GHz G5.