Forreign PowerOutlets

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hello

I am currently in Argentina and ofcourse the plugs that came with my Powerbook doesnt fit in the Poweroutlets here.

The Voltage and Hertz is ok, (220 and 50) its just the plug that is different.

So I go to a electric-store and ask for a transformer, but they say that I need a special one because the Powerbook needs 65W.

So, Is it possible to go into a local apple dealer and just change the small piece with the sticks on the powercord-whitebox that I usually plug inn to the Outlet? Do they sell theese small bits seperatly?

Or can I simply ignore the clerks warning and get a regular transformer?

I am really sorry about the missing/wrong words/terms in this post. English is not my native language.

Armas

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    cyloncylon Posts: 126member
    I've traveledl to Brazil, Chile, Germany, France, and England with my old G3 Laptop, the only thing I've had to use is a cheap set of plug adaptors. They plug onto the original prongs, then plug it into the outlet. The computer just chugs right along then.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    cyloncylon Posts: 126member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cylon

I've traveled to Brazil, Chile, Germany, France, and England with my old G3 Laptop, the only thing I've had to use is a cheap set of plug adaptors. They plug onto the original prongs, then plug it into the outlet. The computer just chugs right along then.

• Reply 3 of 4
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    See http://www.powerbookcentral.com/features/travel.shtml

The Powerbook transformers can automatically switch between 120V/60hz, 220V/60hz, and 220V/50hz; the only thing you need is a physical adapter, the cheap ones, that just plug into the outlet (or two pieces of wire if you want to be risky).
  • Reply 4 of 4
    rolandgrolandg Posts: 632member
    Or you go ahead and get the elegant solution, the World Travel Adapter Kit.