Change is a Good Thing...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
...at least in most areas of life. I decided this morning that I have been reading the NYT (almost exclusively) for a couple of years now and that a change is in order. The odd thing is, my switch was at first motivated by a technical problem: the NYT has had a rash of headline links which re-directed back on themselves...meaning you can't read the story. Then as I perused the Post site (looking for the same story), I kind of preferred its format and figured, why not give it a go since it too is free?

So, I have decided to try out the Washington Post as my regular go-to source now, and added the Trib Online for local stuff (which I frankly ignore most days because there is only so much Daly-related crap I can withstand during the average week).

Do you guys have any recommendations for relatively moderate online papers that cover mostly international and national news items, which I can add to my list?

What do you guys think of the Post? I suspect a lot of the same agendas that shape the NYT might shape the post, but I also suspect the NYT is more liberal on social issues and hot-button stuff. It's based in NY, after all.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    I thought this post was about the pleasure of changing underwear...

This should be done along with the ritual changing of the socks..

Every full moon.....
  • Reply 2 of 12
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Or changing your Britta filter.

But seriously....
  • Reply 3 of 12
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

Or changing your Britta filter.

But seriously....

Sorry Moogs..I don't want to derail your post..cheers...

Aqua.

I gotta go to bed..gotta go to sleep........zzzzzzzzzzzzz
  • Reply 4 of 12
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Google eh? I see it's from many sources. Do they hand-pick the stories or is it just random as to which outlet's story is displayed from one day to the next? Fox is hardly the type of outlet I would consider reliable, and one of their stories is in there, so that's why I ask.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Wall Street Journal is subscription on line.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

Google eh? I see it's from many sources. Do they hand-pick the stories or is it just random as to which outlet's story is displayed from one day to the next? Fox is hardly the type of outlet I would consider reliable, and one of their stories is in there, so that's why I ask.

It's computer generated, like the rest of their searches.

See here: About Google News

Quote:

Who edits the Google News homepage? One of the headlines is totally out of whack.

The headlines that appear on Google news are selected entirely by computer algorithms, based on how and where the stories appear elsewhere on the web. There are no human editors at Google selecting or grouping the headlines and no individual decides which stories get top placement. This occasionally results in some articles appearing to be out of context.

• Reply 8 of 12
    I suppose Google is a good way to get multiple takes on the same story, but it's rare I have the time to read the same story three times in one sitting. Kinda would like to pick a couple highly respectable sources and just go with em for a while and see what I think.

Washington Post

Chicago Trib

and ?

Any good Canadian or Pacific NW papers? I've not heard much about the Seattle paper. I assume it's quite liberal given the population there. Maybe I should get one international source to add to my list and go with that. BBC? CBC?
  • Reply 9 of 12
    lemonlemon Posts: 29member
    I check The Economist on a daily basis.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    If you want a good Canadian news source online I'd say go with http://globeandmail.com. It's our national newspaper! Covering all the exciting happenings from Yellow Knife to Halifax!

They actually have a fairly good track record for intelligent, relatively unbiased reporting.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    I have a subsrciption to the print version of the WSJ. It's a great paper. Online, I read the Washington Post a lot.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Thanks InactionMan, I'll check that source out. Sounds decent.

You guys are like... a massive treasure-trove of journalistic goodness.