Look at the Red Hat Linux product box. No, really!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Look at your copy of Red Hat Linux 9. Or go to a store and check out the the cool red box. Or got to http://www.redhat.com/software/linux/personal/

Notice the icon of the ***iMac*** on the box? WTF?

Serious(!), at the bottom of the font of the box is the words ":: operating system", and next to those words is an icon, which happens to be the LCD iMac! It's on the side of the box too. Looks like an IconFactory-style image to me (sort of cartoony), but it IS an iMac. Hmm...

Have a look:

^ Looks like an iMac to me! The generic human outline image on the screen even looks like Apple's icon for "other" users in the OS X Log In Window.

Is Red Hat implying that iMacs rule and that OS X is the best ":: operating system"?

OK, isn't this all a little WEIRD? Why does Apple's competitors INSIST on implying that their product runs on a Mac, or worse...IS a Mac? MS, Dell, Gateway, and now Red Hat? Sheeesh!

Dont tell me that "sort of looks like an iMac." That IS an iMac! IS IS IS !

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Someone needs a nap.

It does look like an iMac, and technically Red Hat does run on PPC, but through Yellow Dog, which is based on Red Hat, so maybe they aren't lying.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CubeDude

Someone needs a nap.

It does look like an iMac, and technically Red Hat does run on PPC, but through Yellow Dog, which is based on Red Hat, so maybe they aren't lying.

So the CEO of Red Hat doesn't care that an iMac is all over his product which doesn't run on an iMac? So you are trying to tell me taht Red Hat wants to help sell Yellow Dog by putting an iMac on their box, instead of Yello Dog doing so? That makes NO sense whatsoever. Not from a marketing, business, or technical standpoint.

1) Buy Red Hat 9. Yake it home. Examine it closely.

2) See the iMac on the box? Are you holding Yellow Dog? No, you are holding Red Hat. Does Yellow Dog have a iMac on the box? No. Confusing? Maybe. Stupid? Yes.

3) Install on iMac. Well, try... :0)

4) Return it to store. Won't install on the iMac, which is pictured 4 times on the box. Did I mention its the ONLY computer pictured on the box? The ONLY type of computer. Odd?

Here's how I discovered the iMac: True Story

I had 2 PCs on my desk at work. A generic x86 box (new, no OS) and a 17" iMac.

I just bought Red Hat 9. Didn't see the iMac icon. I began installing Red Hat 9 on the PC.

My bosse's 5 year old came over, and said hi. Cool kid. Very smart.

He saw the cool red box and asked about it. He picked it up and said "You are putting this software on a 'puter?" I said yes. He then asked why I wasn't putting it on the computer that is pictured on the box. He loves the iMac by the way. I thought "kid, you are only 5 years old, what are you talking about" and then he SHOWED me the icon! He said "It is for the iMac, see?" I my jaw dropped. Punked by a 5 year old! He was right! It DOES show an iMac! He can't read computer documentation very well at 5, of course, but he sure knows what an iMac is!

Morals:

Red Hat: Even 5-year-olds think you guys make software for Macs!

Adults: Listen to your kids! :0)
  • Reply 3 of 10
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Why are you so obbsessed about this? It's not the first time that someone claims their stuff runs on a Mac(as you pointed out in your first post). What I'm saying is that companies like Gateway do more damage than Red Hat(to Apple) by using an Apple product in their marketing. Well, to the consumer, anyways.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member

Want 20 other models?
  • Reply 5 of 10
    I think that might have been around before the flat panel iMac?
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dog Almighty

I think that might have been around before the flat panel iMac?

<--- renames post to say "Apple stole Red Hat's hardware design!"

:0)
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Want 20 other models?

Yes, please. :0~
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Did anyone ever install SGI's XFS version of RedHat 9?

I did that recently, and the second to last screen clearly shows an iBook. All white and only one button under the trackpad.

Freaky deaky.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    The iMac has become the universal symbol for "computer".
  • Reply 10 of 10
    I have seen that icon before in the install for RedHat 8. It is not suppose to be a iMac, it is suppose to be a generic LCD display with a rounded bottom. Sometimes it is shown alone, and sometimes it is shown with an accompaning tower. However, I will admit that it sure does look a lot like an iMac. Perhaps one of the artists at RH is a Mac guy. That would kinda make sense now that OS X is UNIX and all, plus, artist, mac, kinda goes together anyway.

Skipp