802.11g

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Can someone explain to me what I need to get in order to network two computers wirelessly. I would like to have one computer(my Cube) connect via Ethernet, and the other(an eMac) connect wirelessly. I don't want to use Airport because it is so expensive. Actually, I am going to use the AE card, but not the basestation.

So what do I need?

BTW- I have DSL.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Either way, you'll need two wireless devices.

The cube will only support regular 802.11b, but it can share the DSL wirelessly with other computers if you install an AirPort card. You just activate "Internet Sharing" via the "Sharing" panel in the "System Preferences." Your eMac with the AirPort Extreme card will connect to the internet through that shared connection, albeit in a compatibility mode so you won't benefit from the speed improvements in 802.11g.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Maybe I should clarify. I want to use 802.11g to wirelessly network an eMac, but connect my Cube via ethernet to a router. I want to use a Linksys or other manufacturer's base station, because Airport is so much more expensive.

I don't want to use my Cube as a software basestation.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    Any manufacturers' basestation will do. Get one w/ ethernet ports as well. I have a cheapo US Robotics one (Wifi, router, firewall, etc). Works like a charm, cost me $160 Canadian (worthless) dollars.