Quick question about USB 2.0

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
When I get my PowerBook, soon after I'm going to be looking for an external hard drive of modest capacity (probably not more than 20GB) to use as a large backup and to perhaps, as I get more into monkeying around with video, store "scrap clips" and whatnot.

Up until recently, I've just been focusing on FireWire-based drives. Since USB 2.0 is as fast as standard FireWire, give or take, is there any reason I can't include USB 2.0 drives and devices in this hard drive search (or any other peripheral purchases - keychain drives, hubs, etc. - that I may find myself pursuing?

I'm really ignorant about this sort of thing, so someone educate me please.

BTW, the reason I say USB 2.0 is because all signs are pointing to this upcoming PowerBook update/rev having that.

I won't be buying a drive until AFTER my PowerBook purchase, so if there is no USB 2.0, then no big deal. But I'd still like to know.

Is the transfer speed of these like FireWire? Could you work off of them - video, perhaps? - and not see a lag?

Or should I look at FireWire 800 drives?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    for general use, a USB 2 HD would work well. you're not going to notice that much of a performance lad behind firewire. for video... forget about it.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

When, exactly, did Alyson Hannigan get so hot? Somewhere in all this is a joke about turning into a flute, but I won't go there...

She was always, pscates. Redheads, what can you say...

• Reply 3 of 7
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pesi

for general use, a USB 2 HD would work well. you're not going to notice that much of a performance lad behind firewire. for video... forget about it.

Can you expand on that? Is it the interface or the disk speed - or a bit of both - that factor in to this? I was just curious.

But yes, 90% of what I use it for will just be a place to back up any projects, downloads, etc. to without having to burn disks that'll quickly accumulate and become outdated.

Plus, I'm now up to 9GB of mp3s and I'd like to copy them somewhere too. Makes for such easier transfer when getting a new computer down the road.

der kopf, even that pic is kinda "old school". Do a quick google.com image search and look at her lately (she's done some photo layouts for FHM and others...oh my!). She looks less like a gawky teen (from that movie and all) as she does a pretty young woman who could be Dana Scully's hot little sister!

• Reply 4 of 7
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Can you expand on that? Is it the interface or the disk speed - or a bit of both - that factor in to this? I was just curious.

well, it's not disk speed. the same exact drives are used in USB and Firewire enclosure.

it's all about interface speed. Firwire kills USB for sustained transfer rates. and it is a true peer to peer connection bus. there is no processor involved when a firewire disk is accessed. USB, on the other hand, is a host interface. it needs to constantly access the processor to perform it's duties. under most cirumstances, this isn't going to matter much. but for something like video, which is heavily SUSTAINED bandwidth dependent, Firewire is the best option. won't slow down your sytem either.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Cool, thanks. See, I didn't know ANY of that!
  • Reply 6 of 7
    henriokhenriok Posts: 537member
    Most USB2-drives (all?) need an external power source while FireWire-drives can use the power supplied by the FW bus. This applies to all pocket sized drives, 2.5" HDs, I've seen and ads quite a lot usability to what the FireWire solution has to offer.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    May I recommendthesedrives? This one in particular looks like it meets your demands, pscates. USB and Firewire compatible, 20 GB...it's all made for you.