Xserve update?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Anyone have a clue when the Xserve might be updated and what the new features would most likely be? What are the chances of a faster system bus, what will the processor top out at, will the single processory system go dual, will the hard drives get bigger/faster?

I'm mostly interested in the time frame since I'd like to buy one in the next 1-2 months. I don't want to buy 1.0 hardware and I'd hate to buy it and have a week before they announce dual 1.4 gig machines.

any educated guesses, especially on time frame? Xserve has been out for a while now and must be due for an update...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Hummmm? If the 970 is shipping this year I'd expect to see nothing more than a speed bump maybe once before a 970 XServe ships.

If it's not then you might see a motherboard update "soon".

[ 01-13-2003: Message edited by: Scott ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 8
    I'm really not expecting any 970 machines until at least fall, and more realistically next january. i'm not patient enough to wait that long either. i'm thinking dual 1.4's with a 200 Mhz bus, hopefully soon. but it's hard to guage since it may not follow the same update schedule as the consumer hardware. plus there seem to be almost zero rumors about the xserve. hopefully a speedbump when they unveil the RAID. that's gotta be soon.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I wouldn't expect Apple to update the Xserve half as often as other products in its line-up. Just take a look at Sun. In 2 years Sun hasn't updated its Sun Blade 100 low-end workstations. They haven't lowered the price either. Nobody really cares though... It's the same for Big Blue, HP, etc...
  • Reply 4 of 8
    i think the clue here is the Xserve RAID. That was originally supposed to be out at the end of 2002 but then got delayed to the first quarter of this year. I suspect that there will be a small feature bump of the Xserve at the time that the Xserve RAID is announced.

Don't expect 970's yet though. They simply aren't in production yet and even if they were, servers are supposed to be reliable. The 970 hasn't been tested aggresively in the real world yet.

many people are expecting the 970's to show up in the Xserve before the PowerMac due to initial lack of availablity and posibly cost issues. I'm expecting the reverse. 970's in the towers does a lot more for PR than having them in the servers. Even if there is only one model and supplies are highly constrained originally.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Remember that Xserve still has 1GHz processors while the PowerMacs have had the 1.25 for almost 6 months now. Xserve will likely always trail the worstations for the reasons above. Add to that another reason: heat. The 1GHz produces less heat than the 1.25 and a 1.2GHz 130nm G4 will produce less heat than a 1.4GHz G4...
  • Reply 6 of 8
    japhjaph Posts: 29member
    [quote]Originally posted by Outsider:

<strong>Remember that Xserve still has 1GHz processors while the PowerMacs have had the 1.25 for almost 6 months now. Xserve will likely always trail the worstations for the reasons above. Add to that another reason: heat. The 1GHz produces less heat than the 1.25 and a 1.2GHz 130nm G4 will produce less heat than a 1.4GHz G4...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Even if heat issues restrict the 1U Xserve, I don't think there's any good reason Apple can't eventually diversify with 2U and 3U servers, once the current Xserve establishes a foothold.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    [quote]Originally posted by japh:

<strong>

Even if heat issues restrict the 1U Xserve, I don't think there's any good reason Apple can't eventually diversify with 2U and 3U servers, once the current Xserve establishes a foothold.</strong><hr></blockquote>

what else would they put in there? the 1U's have an amazing feature set for that size server. quad cpu's and more storage?

[ 01-15-2003: Message edited by: dillyo1001 ]</p>
  • Reply 8 of 8
    [quote]Originally posted by dillyo1001:

<strong>what else would they put in there? the 1U's have an amazing feature set for that size server. quad cpu's and more storage?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes please. Sure, quad CPUs are a pipe dream for now, but more storage would already exist if it weren't for Apple's incompetence:

What I'd really like to see is the availability of empty drive modules with LBA48 support. It's absurd that 250GB IDE drives are available, but the largest you can put in an Xserve is 120GB -- and at absurdly inflated prices.

I'm in the market for a server soon. I'd like an Xserve, but it'll have to be updated before I can even consider it. Processor speed parity with the PowerMacs is essential, as is above larger drive support. Right now, a dual 1.25 PowerMac running OS X Server is simply a better server -- the only advantages the Xserve has are rackmountability and some hardware monitoring.

Alex