Software update...needs an update

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Does anyone else have problems (albeit minor) with Software Update? It just bothers me how when Software Update says that you need to upgrade something, lets say Quicktime for example, it does not show which version you have next to the newer version that is available (like if I was uprading to version, say, 6.4 from 6.3, a column should be next to the new version telling which version you have). I also think that it sucks how Software update lists the ENTIRE download size for applications that need to be updated, as opposed to only the amount that is actually needed to update the shown software, like Quicktime updates always show around 19 MB when it does not take 19 MB to actually upgrade the application. I hope some of you can simpathize with me on this. I know it's not a major problem, but it would make things much more convenient for most of us.

Apple: If you are listening please try to address this! Thankyou.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by The Pfhor

I also think that it sucks how Software update lists the ENTIRE download size for applications that need to be updated, as opposed to only the amount that is actually needed to update the shown software, like Quicktime updates always show around 19 MB when it does not take 19 MB to actually upgrade the application.

The QT update IS a 19MB download - SU is not lying here. QT is much more than just QT Player.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    My pet peeve re: SU is how it constantly resets to defaults. like, I'll unselect iPod Software and iMovie (I use neither), and then update X, and quit. Next time I fire up SU, goddamn it, iPod Software, Airport Basestaion firmware, and iMovie are selected for updating. It would be nice to permanently have these unselected, as I have no use for them.

Another pet peeve is how if I download Safari 1.0 from Apple's web site, SU doesn't know it is there. Why in hell not? How hard can it be to scan my Apps folder for Safari? Or have the installer log checked before wasting SU's bandwidth?

Wacky.

There's also no way to uninstall any of the apps that get installed, although that has nothing to do with SU in particular.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    nebrienebrie Posts: 483member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1337_5L4Xx0R

My pet peeve re: SU is how it constantly resets to defaults. like, I'll unselect iPod Software and iMovie (I use neither), and then update X, and quit. Next time I fire up SU, goddamn it, iPod Software, Airport Basestaion firmware, and iMovie are selected for updating. It would be nice to permanently have these unselected, as I have no use for them.

Another pet peeve is how if I download Safari 1.0 from Apple's web site, SU doesn't know it is there. Why in hell not? How hard can it be to scan my Apps folder for Safari? Or have the installer log checked before wasting SU's bandwidth?

Wacky.

There's also no way to uninstall any of the apps that get installed, although that has nothing to do with SU in particular.

Unchecking the update doesn't disable it and isn't meant to. It just means when you hit the update button it'll skip it on this run. You have to do something else to remove the download but I can't remember it at the moment.

SU does not check for Safari updates because it is meant to update two things: 1. components of the OS, like quicktime. 2. security fixes for bundled apps. Safari falls under neither at the moment.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    To 'permanently' remove an update from consideration:

1) Select Update to be disabled.

2) Trigger menu item Update->Make Inactive.

That's it.

To see which updates you've elected not to install, menu item Update->Show Inactive Updates will do the trick. You can then re-enable an update from there.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nebrie

SU does not check for Safari updates because it is meant to update two things: 1. components of the OS, like quicktime. 2. security fixes for bundled apps. Safari falls under neither at the moment.

SU updates whatever Apple decides to update. iPod 2.0.1 that is downloading now falls under neither of your categories.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    And SU does check for Safari updates...

Thursday, May 15, 2003 16:29:35 US/Pacific: Installed "Safari Update" (1.0 Beta 2 (v74))
  • Reply 7 of 9
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

To 'permanently' remove an update from consideration:

1) Select Update to be disabled.

2) Trigger menu item Update->Make Inactive.

That's it.

To see which updates you've elected not to install, menu item Update->Show Inactive Updates will do the trick. You can then re-enable an update from there.

Danke, Kickaha.

And Nebrie: what Eugene said, which is why it's a pet peeve of mine.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Marathon Rules.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by 709

Marathon Rules.

The wisest thing, said in this thread!