Bulk Email Software Recommendations?

cogcog
Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hello giant wealth of valuable and timely information (this means you)!

Anyone care to weigh in on a solid OS X version of some bulk email software? I need to build a newsletter to keep everyone updated about a sick family member.

Ideally it would have mail merge capabilities, HTML and Plain text, address validation, attachment capabilities, etc.

Anyone know what Apple uses to build their eNewsletter?

Thank you for your comments...you haven't steered me wrong yet!

Cog

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    gargoylegargoyle Posts: 660member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cog

[B]Hello giant wealth of valuable and timely information (this means you)!

Hello.

Quote:

Anyone care to weigh in on a solid OS X version of some bulk email software? I need to build a newsletter to keep everyone updated about a sick family member.

Ideally it would have mail merge capabilities, HTML and Plain text, address validation, attachment capabilities, etc.

Thats a BIG family you have there, and you need to validate their addresses?

No offence, but this doesn't sound quite right to me. It sounds more like you are getting ready to spam a shitload of people.

But... I will give you the benefit of doubt and a half answer. You can use address book. Add a group called "family mail list", or something similar. Then drag all your family contacts into that group.

Then compose your message, and address it to yourself. Then choose Edit->Add BCC header (Shift-Cmd-B), and drag the group from address book into the new BCC field in the email compose window.

BCC is a Blind Carbon Copy, and the recipients should not end up with a list of addresses in the header. Not that you would mind your family members seeing each others addresses??

Quote:

Anyone know what Apple uses to build their eNewsletter?

Probably a talented web programmer.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Although I haven't tried it myself, MaxBulk Mailer X appears to be getting good reviews at MacUpdate.

*hopes that you don't use this for spam*
  • Reply 3 of 6
    cogcog Posts: 40member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gargoyle

No offence, but this doesn't sound quite right to me. It sounds more like you are getting ready to spam a shitload of people.

Hey Gargoyle...

No offence taken...yes, I have a huge list of folks to update, some of which are not overly tech saavy nor have I confired with them in some time...so, instead of going through the bouncing email issue I thought it would be nice to prevalidate them...of course, this is only needed once.

I appreciate your sensitivity to the spam issue...it is a problem everywhere and I assure you I will not add to it!

Cog

\
  • Reply 4 of 6
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    I use bulkmailerproX, the development is half harted but it works and you can drag and drop a text file of email addresses into the to pane which is nice.

Sending your customers email isn't spam if they have requested it!
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Addison

Sending your customers email isn't spam if they have requested it!

I know that, I was using the word spam correctly - unsolicited emails.

Like the 5 or 6 I get every day about certain anatomy changes which are addressed to [email protected]. These companies have picked up this address from the various whois databases on the net - taking absolutely no notice of the terms of most of these servers that state the contact information must only be used for queries about the domain name its attached to...

or the 3 to 4 daily emails I get addressed to sales@, postmaster@, admin@ from companies just abusing the fact that 90% of the time someone will read the mail addressed to these addresses.

And then there's the web shaggers!!! How many sites have you seen where people now write there address like this: emails@paul(get_round_this_you_dumb_robot)court.co .uk ?

errm, </rant>
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Oh and just incase any of you were wondering just how effective those web shaggers are, a friend and me tested a few of them...

Using a 512K cable connection, we had over 35,000 potential email addresses in 30 mins.