New MSN Messenger 3.5.1 Comments?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
This looks like a strong upgrade, though I am irritated by the news/ads in a pane at the bottom. Anyone using this or a multi-protocol product that has any problems connecting with the new MSN?

AK

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    chrisgchrisg Posts: 239member
    If you have Office v.X you can turn of the promotional pane from the view menu in MSN Messenger.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    gargoylegargoyle Posts: 660member
    would have been nicer if MS included support for the new smileys.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    My friends keep nagging me to get MSN 6 for all it's weird gimmicks. It pisses me off. They don't even have webcams! But will we ever get the gimmicks for Mac?
  • Reply 4 of 9
    kennethkenneth Posts: 832member
    I tried the MSN messenger 6.0 on my Win2000 box, it takes up more desktop space than iChat AV. I don't like the "featuring" tabs and big ads of MSN messenger 6.

I'm not sure how it will look like on the XP box..

The Windows version is simply a thumb down. KISS, Microsoft!

Anyway, I have only 2 or 3 friends on MSN and normally I fire up Proteus on my Mac.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    dnisbetdnisbet Posts: 201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ChrisG

If you have Office v.X you can turn of the promotional pane from the view menu in MSN Messenger.

How? I have MSN 3.5 so is this a new feature in 3.5.1?
  • Reply 6 of 9
    I just looked at the MSN Messenger page and the download puts the version at 3.5, not 3.5.1 am I missing something here? have you got a beta of the update or something?
  • Reply 7 of 9
    chrisgchrisg Posts: 239member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dnisbet

How? I have MSN 3.5 so is this a new feature in 3.5.1?

If you go to the 'View' menu the second option is 'Promotional Pane'. It has been there for awhile, but it is only active if you have Office Installed.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by ChrisG

If you go to the 'View' menu the second option is 'Promotional Pane'. It has been there for awhile, but it is only active if you have Office Installed.

ahhhhhh! wow no more annoying microsoft ads
  • Reply 9 of 9
    gabidgabid Posts: 477member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dnisbet

I just looked at the MSN Messenger page and the download puts the version at 3.5, not 3.5.1 am I missing something here? have you got a beta of the update or something?

Myself, I downloaded what is there. Now, if I choose "About" while running the app, it tells me its 3.5. But if I choose "Get Info" from the Finder, the app tells me its version 3.5.1. Haven't been able to find any differences mind you.