Wireless keyboard charging problem

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
If the move to a wireless keyboard is afoot, then the charging problem must be #1 in Apple's crosshairs.

Having to recharge, buy new batteries, whatever for a wireless keyboard is just plain stupid and counterproductive, and will fail.

I remember reading an article a while back regarding "generating power from keystrokes".

Sorry, I couldn't find the article in question, but remembered it when thinking about this problem.

Wouldn't work so well for mouse power however, because of fewer clicks compared to keyboard clicks, and much shorter "throw" for depressing a mouse button.

What do you think about "generating power from keystrokes"?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    There are wristwatches that run off of power generated by merely walking around...

I'm unabashedly anti-wireless for mice and keyboards. However, this stance is at least partially based upon the hassle of needing to replace batteries or purchase, setup, and use charging hardware. Unfortunately, I think even bluetooth power consumption is orders of magnitude higher than available from kinetic sources.
  • Reply 2 of 34
    delphikidelphiki Posts: 76member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FormatC2

If the move to a wireless keyboard is afoot, then the charging problem must be #1 in Apple's crosshairs.

Having to recharge, buy new batteries, whatever for a wireless keyboard is just plain stupid and counterproductive, and will fail.

I remember reading an article a while back regarding "generating power from keystrokes".

Sorry, I couldn't find the article in question, but remembered it when thinking about this problem.

Wouldn't work so well for mouse power however, because of fewer clicks compared to keyboard clicks, and much shorter "throw" for depressing a mouse button.

What do you think about "generating power from keystrokes"?

It's an interesting idea, but the cost of something like this might make it impractical but more importantly, would it be able to generate enough energy from a single keystroke to transmit that keystroke wirelessly with a strong enough signal for your computer to be able to recieve it? Also this would require a bluetooth wireless keyboard system to be redesigned so that the computer only neeeded to have a connection with the keyboard when a key was pressed, which could be difficult. As it stands now just having a wireless keyboard on without typeing anything is a drain on the battery so this is a problem that would need to be overcome. Perhaps the amount of energy that could be gained from a keystroke would be greater than the amount of energy needed to transmit that keystroke by a great enough amount that it would be possible to maintain a constant connection while using the keyboard based on energy stored that was collected from keystrokes. Though when you wanted to turn it on wohat would you do? Just mash a bunch of keys?
  • Reply 3 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by FormatC2

...Having to recharge, buy new batteries, whatever for a wireless keyboard is just plain stupid and counterproductive, and will fail...

I have a wireless keyboard/mouse (Logitech) for my POS Dell at work. Changing the batteries is infrequent and easy. The software even warns you when the batteries are running low.

People have remote controls for all kinds of audio/visual equipment and all of them need the batteries changed now and again.

Am I missing something?
  • Reply 4 of 34
    gargoylegargoyle Posts: 660member
    I have seen a few articles in AI with similar questions, and my answer is still the same. You always have to rely on us clever British folk...

http://www.splashpower.com/
  • Reply 5 of 34
    formatc2formatc2 Posts: 176member
    Originally posted by Gargoyle

I have seen a few articles in AI with similar questions, and my answer is still the same. You always have to rely on us clever British folk...

There are two "charging contacts" on the bottom of the iBook, hmmmmmmm...

Originally posted by Boss_Jim

I have a wireless keyboard/mouse (Logitech) for my POS Dell at work. Changing the batteries is infrequent and easy.

Tell us more. How often? What kind of batteries? Est. cost per month/year?
  • Reply 6 of 34
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    I know, we can charge the keyboard using USB! And then I can just leave it plugged in all the time...
  • Reply 7 of 34
    inkheadinkhead Posts: 155member
    I'm guessing it will use some sorta lithium ion or other technology. Just like you don't replace your iPod battery you won't replace your keyboard battery. In fact it would be rather simple really. Right where the cable goes into the keyboard it would just be a USB or firewire type connector. If it's unplugged it's wireless. If it is plugged in it's wired and charging. Same goes for the mouse.
  • Reply 8 of 34
    rbrrbr Posts: 631member
    Quote:

Originally posted by inkhead

I'm guessing it will use some sorta lithium ion or other technology. Just like you don't replace your iPod battery you won't replace your keyboard battery. In fact it would be rather simple really. Right where the cable goes into the keyboard it would just be a USB or firewire type connector. If it's unplugged it's wireless. If it is plugged in it's wired and charging. Same goes for the mouse.

Logitech has a nice parking station/charger for their most recent wireless mouse. I guess the keyboard still needs to have the batteries changed though.
  • Reply 9 of 34
    maskermasker Posts: 451member
    I wonder is a solar cell could run the keyboard.

if it'll run a calculator..???

MSKR
  • Reply 10 of 34
    dglowdglow Posts: 147member
    What about inductive charging? This is the contact-free, method used by Oral-B electric toothbrushes.

Maybe some kind of charging pad the keyboard & mouse sit on overnight? Or the keyboard stays plugged in, and you leave the mouse touching the keyboard to charge...

A possibility?
  • Reply 11 of 34
    g::mastag::masta Posts: 121member
    they could always allow you to use your iPod dock to charge the mouse and keyboard. If it only takes 3 hours to fully charge an iPod, it should take far less time to charge a mouse & keyboard.
  • Reply 12 of 34
    gargoylegargoyle Posts: 660member
    I really think that splash power could be the future. If it is as good as it says it is, then we could see large pads that cover almost the entire desktop... Everything could be wireless, without a real need to worry too much about its power consumption.
  • Reply 13 of 34
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Maybe they could fit a fuel cell in there? That would finally put all those spilled soft drinks and cups of coffee to good use.
  • Reply 14 of 34
    about the logitech kb/mouse.

i have owned mine for over a year now, and usually have to change the mouse batteries once every 5 weeks. it takes 2 AA batteries, i buy the duracel ultra, so 6$/4 = 3$ every 5 weeks.

52/5=10.4

10.4*3=$31.20/year. not too bad, really.

i think the kb goes about 3-4 months,but i honestly cant remember last time i changed them. it uses 2AA also
  • Reply 15 of 34
    madmax559madmax559 Posts: 596member
    Heres how the new apple keyboards will actually work

---BEGIN TOP SECRET DESIGN PROPOSAL

Each keyboard will come equipped with a small cage

containing an apple hamster (TM)

Said power source will have multiple benefits

1.Power the keyboard

2.Provide theurapatic sideeffects to the user.

3.Prevent the user from smashing down on the keyboard

thereby killing power source

4.Enchance the "Apple" effect

The power source will be trained to subsist on dropppings

of coke & pizza that are embedded in the keyboard

---END TOP SECRET DESIGN PROPOSAL

• Reply 16 of 34
    kraig911kraig911 Posts: 912member
    Quote:

Originally posted by madmax559

Heres how the new apple keyboards will actually work

---BEGIN TOP SECRET DESIGN PROPOSAL

Each keyboard will come equipped with a small cage

containing an apple hamster (TM)

Said power source will have multiple benefits

1.Power the keyboard

2.Provide theurapatic sideeffects to the user.

3.Prevent the user from smashing down on the keyboard

thereby killing power source

4.Enchance the "Apple" effect

The power source will be trained to subsist on dropppings

of coke & pizza that are embedded in the keyboard

---END TOP SECRET DESIGN PROPOSAL

That is like the coolest design I've ever heard of.
  • Reply 17 of 34
    the keyboard could be outfitted with two wire probes that you could stick into an apple, just like how the potato clock works. You could use a potato, but the apple fits their brand.
  • Reply 18 of 34
    jmitchjmitch Posts: 38member
    Yes, the splashpower is definitly the way to go. Just make the mouse pad the splashpower or secure a mat underneath the desk somehow. Apple will figure out an easy convenient solution to it.

The keyboard powering thing, with the kinetic energy is not the right direction. Keyboards themselves are dinosaur technology. Its just a matter of putting the new technology to use and making it widespread. Think about it, the keyboard is so un-ergonomical. Its clunky, takes up room, and is generally slow. You can already control your Mac soley with your voice. Just get a decent microphone, and Apple has already provided that infact with the iSight, which will probably be built in to future Macs.

People lets look ahead a little. The mouse will probably even dissapear. Of course, much later than the keyboard.
  • Reply 19 of 34
    malokatamalokata Posts: 197member
    Hell, the personal computer will be phased out eventually, too, likely replaced by a ubiquitous, easily accessible ubernet, but that doesn't mean Apple should quit making them.
  • Reply 20 of 34
    jmitchjmitch Posts: 38member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Malokata

Hell, the personal computer will be phased out eventually, too, likely replaced by a ubiquitous, easily accessible ubernet, but that doesn't mean Apple should quit making them.

No no no. You missed my point. My point was not to say that Apple should stop making anything that will ultimately be replaced with newer technology.

My point was that Apple should be looking ahead, as they usually do, and they should definitly make wireless a standard and forget the wired mices and keyboards. Along with that, I was just mentioning that keyboards are dinosaur technology, and they should be the next to go, seeing that Apple already has voice command built-in to their os.