* Disaster * Destruction * Death

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Much has been made o' the greedy plundering and desecration o' oor precious natural resources. But an equally insidious incursion o' vikingesque vigour is even now takin' place in the precarious kingdom o' thoughts and ideas©. The cerebral coffers are being continuously pillaged wi' rapacious abandon.

As everybody wha strives for originality will testify, it becomes ever harder tae come up wi' fresh concepts; simply because the limited resource o' new and unimagined things is being mined at an ever accelerating pace. This is exacerbated exponentially by the power and ready availability o' fast home computers and the ease o' communication by which ideas can be so casually exchanged and exploited. And wi' the fickleness o' mythological gods in seven-league-boots we dash frae horizon tae horizon plundering, discarding and laying waste for nae better motive than oor ain entertainment.

The Day will surely come (The 26th December 2017) when every thought will hae been thunk and every original idea originated. Thereafter there will be nothing left for us tae do but vegetate and slump tae the floorboards wi' a farting sound like big burst sofas.

My freends - for your ain sakes and those o' generations yet unborn, shun fast computers wi' big disk drives. Think in terms o' dekahertz raither then gigahertz. Switch the pace o' your lives frae 76 rpm tae 33 and leave some ideas for the future.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Imagination has no limit, do not be scared by the width of the world. For example : you are the unique Sir Mac Of the Isles of AI : isn't it great ?
  • Reply 2 of 7
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member

\

*exhale* Thanks brother, I needed that something fierce. Today started off on a rather horrid set of notes for me and I'm trying to keep my chin up. I definitely got a laugh (or tae) from that one.

God bless ya sonny. Yer a good lahd.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    "not only is the universe stranger than we imagine , it is stranger than we can imagine."

Either astronomer Sir Arthur Eddington, or J. B. S. Haldane who said it first, I have seen both citations. Also occasionally credited to Arthur C Clarke, (though IIRC, Clarke cites it as Haldane).

there have been some pretty remarkable advances in imagination, though
  • Reply 4 of 7
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

"not only is the universe stranger than we imagine , it is stranger than we can imagine."

Either astronomer Sir Arthur Eddington, or J. B. S. Haldane who said it first, I have seen both citations. Also occasionally credited to Arthur C Clarke, (though IIRC, Clarke cites it as Haldane).

there have been some pretty remarkable advances in imagination, though

Och Aye ..Hoots man tar wat ye sed
  • Reply 5 of 7
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    after a quick google on doom and gloom

had to laugh at this relevant quote from GloomBoomDoom

Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens

we have to keep going back and beginning all over again -
    Andre Gide

but it requires more and more creativity even to be a respectable pessimist, so there's hope
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Moogs! How are ye? I trust ye've had a better day today and that all is groovy again. Whaur I live, here on The Isles, nae one is ever unhappy and grief and sorrow are but rumours frae distant lands. Perversely this gies me that extra clarity o' mind and perspective wherewith I may propound (wi' some degree o' authority) unfalteringly accurate prophecies o' impending doom and calamity to the ootside world.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member

Doing better by the minute. You should write a book about life. I'd buy a copy, I can tell you that much. Irvine Welsh has got nothing on you my friend. Other than a bigger bank roll maybe. But these things can be remedied with the right agent!