Run for the Border! Again!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,93118,00.html

No matter WHICH party we are talking about....this is just not right. Your thoughts....

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    sdw, i don't agree with you often, but in this case, it just smacks of desperation. it also kinda makes you think that something must be done about rules governing votes such as these to prevent mass defections to stop state legislation.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Redistricting has been called the biggest (real) threat to democracy out there. The way the districts are cut up by whomever is in power assures who is going to win those electoral votes in the next election. Doesn't matter who you vote for because the winning party has already been determined for you. "Both parties do it". blah blah blah.

It seems so stupid when these days you could craft a computer program to take whatever you wanted into consideration and craft "optimal" districts. You could even have it jerrymander on race if you needed it to.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Redistricting has been called the biggest (real) threat to democracy out there. The way the districts are cut up by whomever is in power assures who is going to win those electoral votes in the next election. Doesn't matter who you vote for because the winning party has already been determined for you. "Both parties do it". blah blah blah.

It seems so stupid when these days you could craft a computer program to take whatever you wanted into consideration and craft "optimal" districts. You could even have it jerrymander on race if you needed it to.

We call it " Jerrymandering "....and it is politically illegal in our country...
  • Reply 4 of 15
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SDW2001

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,93118,00.html

No matter WHICH party we are talking about....this is just not right. Your thoughts....

I'm sure the redistricting is going to **** them over so I'm not surprised they are trying to block it using any legal means.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by aquafire

We call it " Jerrymandering "....and it is politically illegal in our country...

Not when it's done for race.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    This part is a bit interesting...

Quote:

Republicans are pressing for more seats in the state's 32-member delegation to the U.S. House. The Democrats currently hold a 17-15 advantage, which Republicans say does not reflect the state's increasingly Republican voting patterns.

Doesn't it seem odd that a state with a hugely Republican House and Senate has a two seat disadvantage with regard to Federal Congressional seats?

Sounds like they might be trying to UNDO a little jerrymandering and let the true will of the people take place for once. If you have 60-65% of the vote in the state and of all other state offices, it should be true for your federal representation as well.

That being said I do wish there was an impartial computer program that could draw up districts and make more races competitive again.

Nick
  • Reply 7 of 15
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

I'm sure the redistricting is going to **** them over so I'm not surprised they are trying to block it using any legal means.

You are just amazing, BR.

What they are doing is only "quasi-legal" It seems an awful lot of people are questioning it's legality. It is most certainly obstructionist in nature. It's slimy and it thwarts the will of the majority, whomever holds it. Democrats have been screaming about the majority's will at the national level as well. Now, tell me who's trampling democracy? Tell me who, at the national level, has held up the President's nomineess without voting? Hmmmm...

Then again, I suppose you're the type of person who thought certain military ballots should have been thrown out 3 years ago, as well. After all, they didn't have a postmark.

There's phrase you should learn: "The spirit of the law..."
  • Reply 8 of 15
  • Reply 9 of 15
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    why don't they just stop screwing around and have some kind of straight mathematical formula that calculates the districts?

something that keeps them as cohesive as possible, (square shaped rather than snaking all over creation).

this just seems retarded.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

why don't they just stop screwing around and have some kind of straight mathematical formula that calculates the districts?

something that keeps them as cohesive as possible, (square shaped rather than snaking all over creation).

this just seems retarded.

Some states have tried that. Also "bipartisan" commissions. Problem is the party in power never likes the results quite enough so they muck with them anyway.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aquafire

The term Jerrymander came from a redistricting plan in a southern state (i think North Carolina). One state representative said the new district looked like a salamander; another responding to the fact that the name of the representative proposing the change was Jerry (or perhaps Jerrome) said it was a Jerrymander....

ha ha ha
  • Reply 12 of 15
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trumptman

This part is a bit interesting...

Doesn't it seem odd that a state with a hugely Republican House and Senate has a two seat disadvantage with regard to Federal Congressional seats?

Sounds like they might be trying to UNDO a little jerrymandering and let the true will of the people take place for once. If you have 60-65% of the vote in the state and of all other state offices, it should be true for your federal representation as well.

That being said I do wish there was an impartial computer program that could draw up districts and make more races competitive again.

Nick

The correlation between local representative voting and national representative voting is weak and always has been.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    There's nothing wrong with lines snaking around because groups of common interest don't always set themselves up into neat little boxes.

There are some plans at put the University of Texas into two different districts... how stupid is that?

While this debate rages literally blocks from where I sit I can't help but not care at all while the Democrats whine. This is the first time in 70+ years the Republicans have gotten a majority and the Democrats have been doing things far more blatant than this for decades to keep their stronghold. This is a Republican state and it is not reflected in state congress.

A Democrat hasn't gotten Texas' electoral votes since Jimmy Carter. A Democrat hasn't been governor since 1994.

But most of all I don't care at all. It's pathetic on both sides, but definitely moreso for the Democrats with their crocodile tears.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

Moron. Once again you think I actually give a rat's ass about democrats or republicans. Both sides tread the line of legality. Both sides are corrupt. However, the line is quite clear in this case.

If the roles were reversed, you would be applauding the republicans for their fvcking ingenuity you blind follower troglodyte fanatic.

How exactly is this "quasi-legal?"

Law says you need a quorum. No quorum, no vote. If it isn't written that you cannot leave the state to break a quorum, it was a bad piece of legislation but the actions are 100% legal nonetheless.

Furthermore, I'm NOT one of those who thought that military ballots should have been thrown out. I also think that people with names and birthdates that matched that of a felon with only an accuracy of 85% or higher SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN WIPED FROM THE VOTER RECORDS WITHOUT EVEN BEING INFORMED SO WHEN THEY TURNED UP TO THE POLLS THEY WERE TURNED AWAY. Both sides played dirty. Both sides disgust me. Just because I believe in more individual freedoms doesn't mean I love the democrats and hate the republicans. I am just more vocal against the republicans because I care more about individual freedoms than most anything else.

Now, blow it out your porthole. You treat the republican party like a sports team and it sickens me. You are part of the problem.

If the roles were reversed I'd be eually angry. Of course, it's easier to dismiss me as a partisan crank. What they are doing is slimy and obstructionist in nature. They are behaving like children.

As far as the insults, congratulations on getting two posts reported in one day.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by SDW2001

If the roles were reversed I'd be equally angry.

Don't be dishonest.

Quote:

Of course, it's easier to dismiss me as a partisan crank.

Easier and closer to the truth.

Quote:

What they are doing is slimy and obstructionist in nature.

And legal.

Quote:

They are behaving like children.

No, they are behaving like adults that crave to gain and maintain power.

Quote:

As far as the insults, congratulations on getting two posts reported in one day. [/B]

If I had a poodle for every time you insulted someone, I could mass produce and ship cans of Chicken Poodle Soup to Africa leaving no man, woman, or child starving on that poor continent.