Best Low cost or free ISP/access

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I have cable broadband, which doesn't offer dialup access. Just in case i have probblems--and need access to support, or cable down or traveling what do you suggest for the best low cost backup dialup national system(nationwide access)

someone (adelphia support) suggested netzero abut it offers 10hrs/m free but it's not for mac i'd have to get $10 "platinum" what do you think if i had dsl i'd get 20hrs free but we don't have dsl yet and i like the cable speed1500-4500kbs

suggestions: .......

what about internet access phone cards, do they exist and do they give you an ISP or cheap long distance rates???

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NOFEER

I have cable broadband, which doesn't offer dialup access. Just in case i have probblems--and need access to support, or cable down or traveling what do you suggest for the best low cost backup dialup national system(nationwide access)

someone (adelphia support) suggested netzero abut it offers 10hrs/m free but it's not for mac i'd have to get $10 "platinum" what do you think if i had dsl i'd get 20hrs free but we don't have dsl yet and i like the cable speed1500-4500kbs

suggestions: .......

what about internet access phone cards, do they exist and do they give you an ISP or cheap long distance rates???

i'm not sure if this answers your question, but if you sign up for earthlink cable, you get free nationwide dial-up through earthlink. i had it in college and it was invaluable as i travelled around visiting fiancee, parents, etc. check out earthlink.net, it's pretty likely you can get it. let us know
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Actually....I think EarthLink Cable is now like EarthLink DSL (i.e. only 20 hours of dial-up a month). After that 20, it's $1/hr up to $21 (I think).

Actually, I stand corrected (just checked). The above applies if it's over Comcast lines. If it's over Time-Warner then the dial-up is unlimited.