internet PC

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm looking for a cheap internet PC, probably a Windows machine, sorry everyone. Mac's are just aliitle to much for what I need. I still am a mac fan, I have 4 macs. I'm not sure what I should get in this PC for the best internet performace. Any suggestions. I'm thinking

2.6GHz P4 800MHz Bus

512MB Ram

GF4 440 64MB

40GB 7200RPM HD

10/100LAN

XP PRO

16X DVD

52X CD-RW

This is about under 1000

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    xmogerxmoger Posts: 242member
    I assume by 'internet' you mean web browsing, email, IM, IRC, etc. If that's really all you need it for and don't plan on doing anything else with it in the future, you certainly don't need to spend $1000 dollars or get a 64MB vid card.

Get the cheapest Dell/Gateway/Hpaq with at least 800Mhz P3 or Athlon & 512MB of ram, any other specs they sell now will be fine. Things like a comfortable mouse, keyboard and monitor are nice bonuses though.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    I agree, you can spend a few hundred dollars on a box that will deal with internet activities just fine. I used to have a 800 some odd megahertz P3 around for that, but I got rid of it a few months back. Need to replace it for QA purposes sometime in the near future...
  • Reply 3 of 5
    If you want a cheap PC for plain internet use and don't fel like building one, just get one of those $200-300 WalMart boxes. I've read really good things about them. Get the linux or "no OS" box and install your own copy of Windows (assuming you have one) to save even more money.

For US$199.98 you can get a box with a 1.2 GHz AMD Duron processor, 128 MB of RAM, and 20 GB HD. Still think you need more? For US$398 you can get a box with an AMD Athlon XP 2000+ processor, 128 MB RAM, and 40 GB HD. Shop around and add your own combo drive for about US$80 and you're still well under *half* your proposed $1000.

You *really* don't need a 2.6 GHz Pentium 4 and a 64 MB GeForce 4 to surf the net and use e-mail and IM software. That's total overkill. It's overkill... to the max.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    stevesteve Posts: 523member
    Yeah, totally go with those Walmart white boxes. I own one. Just rip out the nasty Lindows and put WinXP on there.

The only downside is that those things have really loud, whiny fans in them. You'll do well to make a trip to your local PC shop and get a $35 silent fan with a fraction of your saving. Subsidization owns.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Internet PC?

Easy.

Ditch Intel(why pay more for just the internet?)

AMD Athlon XP 2000

nForce2 IGP(Integrated Graphics)

Case Keyboard Mouse

512mb Memory

XP

Easy as pie under $500.