iMovie Photo import

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I hope someone can help me, but I am trying to import photos into iMovie and the quality seems terrible. Specifically, I am saving Powerpoint slides with full resolution (i.e. they look great in Preview) and importing them into iPhoto and then using them in iMovie. The picture is grainy and looks terrible - words have no clarity etc.

Is this a limitation of iMovie? Do I need Final Cut express/Pro to get good results? I did test a quicktime output to see if it was only the way iMovie displays the files but it looked terrible too.

Help!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Moving to Digital Hub.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    What's happening is that iMovie has a smaller image area than your slides (an iMovie is something like 640/720x480 pixels at the most, and your slides are probably 800x600 pixels at least), so it has to interpolate the pixels of your pictures and squeeze them into the iMovie window. Your words and pictures such are being reduced in size without more sophisticated resampling. Words at small sizes would get especially mangled.

You could try resizing the images in something like Photoshop first, then importing the reduced slides into iMovie. I would suspect given the size of the iMovie you have to deal with, even reducing the images in Photoshop first at the highest resampling setting would produce only marginally useful slides if they have a lot of text.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    i believe that once you export to the camera it'll look the way it should. For some reason they look like shit in iMovie