Synchronous Broadband Internet Access for the rest of us?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm wondering if synchronous broadband internet access will ever become the de facto standard for all users. I think that there are really few people who get this at a reasonable price (excepting those that reside in university dorms, and even those, do YOU get synchronous service?). I'm wondering because, since computers become more powerful, and everyone seems to have a homepage nowadays ("Welcome to jack and debbie's homepage. This is our dog. Leave a message."-type of thing), I'm sure plenty of people could use one, instead of having to pay for crappy/overpriced or crappier/free server service elsewhere.

Also, I've been pondering the purchase of a supercheap second hand PC over the past few weeks, to start running and experimenting with Linux and its server capabilities (yep, I'm still looking to hone my skills), and I'm seriously thinking of setting up some kind of file-server, maybe an IRC-bot, or a carracho server of some kind, ideally with a ton of mp3s for everyone to leech, all because I'm sick of the RIAA. Anyway, disregard that last comment. I'd be sharing legal stuff, mkay...

I have even thought of purchasing an SDSL connection for this purpose, but have been taken aback somewhat by its price. My current ADSL connection (3 mbit down/192 kbit up) is about 40 euros a month (and is capped at 10 GB volume, with 5 euros per extra 5 GB). I consider this a very decent deal (especially since my ISP carries the entire alt.binaries tree with more than acceptable completion).

For SDSL however, they charge 650 euro for a 1 mbit line. The only difference being that it is full duplex. A 2 mbit SDSL line is 1000 euro a month. Needless to say I'm unable to spend that kind of money. These lines don't come with a volume cap.

So, why is the difference so extreme? If you read their agreement, they guarantee (only) 512 kbps upstream, but say it can be more, depending...

I'm really puzzled. I'm thinking everyone should be able to have their own server. Is the internet topology not up to that yet? Or are the "big companies just kicking down the little guy"?

( for that last comment).

What are your expectations and remarks? Is this there for us in the foreseeable future?

Comments