Help! Switching to Mac and need suggestions on Java development software

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hey, you've all probably seen my ranting posts before, but I'm a PC user and techie, but am buying myself a 12" powerbook for school this upcoming semester. I'm going to buy a 12" powerbook, 640 megs of DDR, superdrive, airport extreme, basically go nuts. What I want to know, is how you program in Java in the OSX.

Here's where I've been coming from:

Windows 2000 Pro PC's

Sun Java SDK 1.4.1

using Real J

Now, when I get the powerbook to take to class, I need to be able to do the assignments like everyone else is doing...write ups, print outs of our code, etc.

Here's my question:

What if there are classes that the teacher gives us that are compiled on a PC for Sun Java and I need to import them. How would I do that, what software would I use, and basically, how different it is from using Real J? Are all the base Java classes the same as those released by Sun, and if not, how do I get around this "They're using PC's but I'm using a Mac" thing.

Could someone please take me under their wing for a while and help?

Please email me at [email protected]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Quote:

I'm going to buy a 12" powerbook, 640 megs of DDR, superdrive, airport extreme, basically go nuts.

Exactly what I'm running.

Quote:

What I want to know, is how you program in Java in the OSX.

Same way as Windows but with a better command line :-) I've been doing commercial Java development for about six years, and I've been using Java on the Mac since Java 1.0 so I might be able to help.

Quote:

Here's where I've been coming from:

Windows 2000 Pro PC's

Sun Java SDK 1.4.1

using Real J

?? Real J ?? I've not heard of it.

[quote]

Here's my question:

What if there are classes that the teacher gives us that are compiled on a PC for Sun Java and I need to import them. How would I do that, what software would I use, and basically, how different it is from using Real J?

[quote]

The whole attraction of Java when it was first launched was the cross platform nature. The standard java packages (java.*) are available on all Java supporting platforms (Mac, Windows, Linux, AS/400 etc). It doesn't matter what patform they were compiled on at all.

So if you get a SomeUniversityObject.class file you run it using "java SomeUniversityObject" from a command line, OR if its a .jar file you can double click it. If its a library jar file that you want to call just make sure its on the command line.

You can do all this with TextEdit and the command line tools (java, javac, jar and so on). You can also install Apples Development Tools that come with OSX. Project Builder is an excellent IDE for developing Java, as long as you delete any com.apple import statements ;-)

Also great IDE's like Eclipse and Netbeans (www.eclipse.org www.netbeans.org) run on OS X. These native Java IDE's will hold you hand and do a lot of work for you, however I think its important to know the low level stuff to.

Quote:

Could someone please take me under their wing for a while and help?

Mail me at [email protected] if you want any tips. I've been using my PowerBook at Uni (part time MSc) without problems, and have done Java, JSP, Servlet, PHP, MySQL, CSS, XML, XSLT work without any problems.

I've not managed to get on their Wireless LAN yet though...
  • Reply 2 of 6
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bygimis Turug VIII

I've not managed to get on their Wireless LAN yet though...

Have you tried the trick where you enter a $-sign (that's indeed a dollar sign) in front of the wep key?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Here's the link to RealJ. It is the preferred IDE for our computer science program, for some odd reason. It's buggy, not very user friendly (not that I expected it to be), and does NOT like to be put on an external hard drive or zip disk, which is what I've had to do. I live about 12 miles away from campus, so I had to use the campus computers (they're great...they refresh all the campus computers every 2 years), but that's just not cutting it anymore.

I'll definitely check those things out. Is there are good freeware or shareware software suite that is available to students?

www.realj.com
  • Reply 4 of 6
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
    Kickaha and Amorph couldn't moderate themselves out of a paper bag. Abdicate responsibility and succumb to idiocy. Two years of letting a member make personal attacks against others, then stepping aside when someone won't put up with it. Not only that but go ahead and shut down my posting priviledges but not the one making the attacks. Not even the common decency to abide by their warning (afer three days of absorbing personal attacks with no mods in sight), just shut my posting down and then say it might happen later if a certian line is crossed. Bullshit flag is flying, I won't abide by lying and coddling of liars who go off-site, create accounts differing in a single letter from my handle with the express purpose to decieve and then claim here that I did it. Everyone be warned, kim kap sol is a lying, deceitful poster.

Now I guess they should have banned me rather than just shut off posting priviledges, because kickaha and Amorph definitely aren't going to like being called to task when they thought they had it all ignored *cough* *cough* I mean under control. Just a couple o' tools.

Don't worry, as soon as my work resetting my posts is done I'll disappear forever.

• Reply 5 of 6
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jvandergriff

Here's the link to RealJ. It is the preferred IDE for our computer science program, for some odd reason. It's buggy, not very user friendly (not that I expected it to be), and does NOT like to be put on an external hard drive or zip disk, which is what I've had to do. I live about 12 miles away from campus, so I had to use the campus computers (they're great...they refresh all the campus computers every 2 years), but that's just not cutting it anymore.

I'll definitely check those things out. Is there are good freeware or shareware software suite that is available to students?

The Apple Developer Tools are availible at developer.apple.com. You'll need to register, but they have a free online membership that gives you access to the tools, a few prerelease items(nothing big) and all their articles.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by jvandergriff

Eclipse and Netbeans are both free and opensource. They are written in Java and will run on Windows, Mac and Linux.

Apples Project Builder is free to MacOS X users - it comes on the developer tools CD (comes with Mac OSX) or you can download it from Apple's developer site if you join with free online membership.