"By song only"

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
this is another thing that is keeping me from using iTMS(the others being, not having an iPod and until just recently not having broadband)

I wish apple didn't have partial albums at all, and I wish that they didn't have albums that you could only buy individual songs.

perhaps they should also make it so some albums can only be bought as full albums, to please RHCP and other artists refusing to put themselves on the store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    I thought they had album only albums? If not, it would get some other bands on iTMS. I would love to see Red Hot Chili Peppers up there.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    they don't have full "album only" albums.

however, there are some songs you can only get if you purchase the full album.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pesi

they don't have full "album only" albums.

however, there are some songs you can only get if you purchase the full album.

I did see at least one album (Traffic, On the Road) where every song was album-only. Apple allows (perhaps even insists -- I'm still unsure whether this is optional or mandatory) any song over 7 minutes to be offered as album-only. One this one particular album, every song was over 7 minutes long.

Even if it would spoil being able to say "every song is 99 cents" it would be nice if the music providers had the option of selling over-7-minute songs individually at a higher price. I suppose Apple could still say "every song is 99 cents*", with a little footnote about long songs added.

As for partial albums... I'm not happy about them. I haven't heard anything about when, why, and for how long an album can be offered this way. Perhaps this happens when certain tracks have legal complications that other tracks on the same album don't have.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

As for partial albums... I'm not happy about them. I haven't heard anything about when, why, and for how long an album can be offered this way. Perhaps this happens when certain tracks have legal complications that other tracks on the same album don't have.

That's what I've usually come to understand, something like tracks 1-6,8-9 are all produced and written and owned by the band, while track 7 might have been produced by different people, written by different people, and not exclusively owned by the band.

whatever it is, I do hope apple is doing everything in their power to offer more full albums on the store.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Apple probably wishes they didn't have partial albums and "full album only" songs either.