Airport Questions

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi all,

I got my laptop and Airport extreem base station. The internet works fine on both laptop and desktop machines.

I was under the impression that I would be able to comunicate between the two computers via airport base station.

Am I mistaken? If not how do I do it?

If it does not do it via Airport, What would you all recomend?

Thank You

Mark

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Communicate? As in.. chat? File Sharing?

Chat --> make sure you have both of the computers iChat software have Rendezvous enabled (Prefs, Accounts --> Enable Rendezvous on local blah), then just show the Rendezvous list.

File Sharing: System Prefs--> Sharing-->enable Personal File Sharing under services... you should be able to connect to the other computer through the Finder's "Connect to Server" command in the "Go" menu. You'll see a drop box for the other machine that you can dump stuff in to transfer files.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    shagstlmshagstlm Posts: 112member
    you may also need to open some ports if you have your firewall going on both macs...to chat they both need to have os x 10.2 if you use rendez vous but to file share you dont. i have done it with my airport well i need to buy a new one cause my house got struck by lightning and killed my airport extreme and snow...sucks but it works