Cheap 802.11b access points

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Best Buy has a Netgear 802.11b access point for 39 dollars with a 4 port ethernet hub this week i believe.

This will work with my powerbook right?

any issues?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    How funny...I was just flipping through this Sunday's paper and was looking in the Circuit City and Best Buy inserts and saw that and went "hmmm...".

Someone explain to me the advantages of Apple's base station over something like this? Can't just be the looks, can it?

Is this, essentially, a base station or do I have my facts crossed? Good, timely post, 'nut. I don't know, but I'm anxious to hear answers.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    even if the range sucks.... I can buy like 4 of these things and have the best access ever in my house and STILL be cheaper than an ABS
  • Reply 3 of 5
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

How funny...I was just flipping through this Sunday's paper and was looking in the Circuit City and Best Buy inserts and saw that and went "hmmm...".

Someone explain to me the advantages of Apple's base station over something like this? Can't just be the looks, can it?

Is this, essentially, a base station or do I have my facts crossed? Good, timely post, 'nut. I don't know, but I'm anxious to hear answers.

They're pretty much the same except that you have to use their configuration tools, usually through a web browser. That makes them not as intuitive. You know, typical Apple ease of use stuff (though Airport Admin Utility bites the big one sometimes).

Also, when I was shopping around for an access point last year, I was still on dialup. The ABS was the only one I found that had a phone line connection, so I had to get that. And it looks nice, too.

edit: the airport extreme BS's also have USB printing ability. So it's essentially a wireless printer server. Sit on your couch, find a pic of Alyson Hannigan you like, print it out for later.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

even if the range sucks.... I can buy like 4 of these things and have the best access ever in my house and STILL be cheaper than an ABS

Are you sure you can do bridging using these? AFAIK, that's not too common a thing, but you'd need it if you want to span your house with various access points connected to the same network.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

edit: the airport extreme BS's also have USB printing ability. So it's essentially a wireless printer server. Sit on your couch, find a pic of Alyson Hannigan you like, print it out for later.

I'm SOLD!

I shall buy two!