Bose MediaMate Speakers: Anyone else use them?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
http://www.bose.com/home_audio/game_...er/mediamates/

I bought a pair a few weeks ago and have been happy with them so far. I certainly think that for the cost (about $100 USD), they get the best sound of any "computer speakers" out there.

I bought them mainly because we have a space concern for our iMac, and having a separate subwoofer would be a problem. I also have a great deal of respect for Bose and know that I will probably never have any problems with these speakers. Finally, I felt like for the money, I'd get the best sound reproduction possible. As a video editor, that's really important to me.

Your comments?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Bose has an interesting place in the audio market. If you google on Bose, you'll find a quite a few web sites devoted specifically to bashing everything made by Bose. A bit of digging should reveal that nearly ALL audiophiles hate Bose with a passion. Yet Bose also does a good job at pleasing most listeners.

You see, their products, while heavily and brilliantly marketed, are significantly more expensive than alternatives offering equal fidelity. That isn?t to say that many people find that Bose speakers sound good. However, they tend to color the sound in only an initially pleasing manner. For many consumers, this is good enough and they appreciate the convenient form factor of Bose products. However, if you?re really in to audio, you?ll quickly notice flaws. Discoloration and outright lack of response in some spectra make Bose completely unsuitable as monitors for audio production.

If you are happy with the sound? then read no further. You risk training yourself to psycho-acoustically fixate on the Bose flaws.

Bose == Marketing != Hi-Fidelity
  • Reply 2 of 15
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I actually have to agree with you in some respects. I have always had a hard time believing that their Acoustimass line (or those related to it) can really produce quality full-spectrum sound. Compared to a lot of other lines, however, they still excel in quality.

I realize that I'm not going to get premium sound from the MediaMate speakers. They are arguably one of the better choices out there for compact computer speakers however, and probably have a better overall sound than Apple Pro speakers, much of the Altec Lansing line, and (dare I say) the Creatures to name a few.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    imacfanimacfan Posts: 444member
    Try Videologic's sirroco spirits - I have had a pair for a few years now, and they are excellent, not too big, practical and sound great.

Shouldn't be too much more than $100 by now.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by iMacfan

Try Videologic's sirroco spirits

Um, maybe next time. I already bought the Bose and am happy with them.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    jante99jante99 Posts: 539member
    Shouldn't this thread be in Digital Hub?

What other speakers besides the creatures look good, sound good, and cost around 130?
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by jante99

Shouldn't this thread be in Digital Hub?

[list=1][*]MediaMates are not part of Apple's original "Digital Hub"[*]MediaMates are not designed to specifically work with the iLife suite or the iTunes Music Store[*]MediaMates are boxes that sit on your desk and therefore can be considered "hardware."[/list=1]

My answer, no.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    taliesintaliesin Posts: 117member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dfiler

ALL audiophiles hate Bose with a passion. Bose == Marketing != Hi-Fidelity

There is a saying: No Highs, no lows just Bose. But don't worry audiophiles hate Bang Olufsen too, so they are in good company...8)
  • Reply 8 of 15
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Please don't partially quote a sentence in a way that completely changes its original meaning.

I specifically wrote 'nearly ALL audiophiles hate Bose' rather than 'ALL audiophiles hate Bose' as you've implied. There is a huge difference.

If you're going to quote someone, do it properly. \
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by taliesin

There is a saying: No Highs, no lows just Bose. But don't worry audiophiles hate Bang Olufsen too, so they are in good company...8)

At least Bang & Olufsen's kit looks good I own a few B&O systems, and all the audiophiles like to point out I could have spent less money.

Well, ok, but it wouldn't look as pretty. They're really just jealous, I think.

I own a pair of Beolab 1 loudspeakers, and I would say they're just about good enough to be monitor speakers. I dealt with a lot of audio when I worked for Turner, so I have a pretty sensitive ear, and the Beolab 1s have a solid sound. They're attractive to boot
  • Reply 10 of 15
    imacfanimacfan Posts: 444member
    Quote:

Originally posted by LoCash

At least Bang & Olufsen's kit looks good I own a few B&O systems, and all the audiophiles like to point out I could have spent less money.

Well, ok, but it wouldn't look as pretty. They're really just jealous, I think.

I own a pair of Beolab 1 loudspeakers, and I would say they're just about good enough to be monitor speakers. I dealt with a lot of audio when I worked for Turner, so I have a pretty sensitive ear, and the Beolab 1s have a solid sound. They're attractive to boot

I agree completely. I have 'just' a Beosound 1 and their earphones for my iPod, but they sound excellent to me, are very well built and look good. The difference between them and what the audiophiles are telling you about is like compairing a Mercedes to a Subaru Imprezza WRX - I'd take the slower one any day

David
  • Reply 11 of 15
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dfiler

Please don't partially quote a sentence in a way that completely changes its original meaning.

I specifically wrote 'nearly ALL audiophiles hate Bose' rather than 'ALL audiophiles hate Bose' as you've implied. There is a huge difference.

If you're going to quote someone, do it properly. \

Yeah but being an audiophile and not hating bose are two completely incompatible descriptions

Quote:

The difference between them and what the audiophiles are telling you about is like compairing a Mercedes to a Subaru Imprezza WRX - I'd take the slower one any day

Car analogies never worked well...
  • Reply 12 of 15
    kraig911kraig911 Posts: 912member
    what are some decent speakers I can use as Audio monitors for around 150 you think? I'm actually looking for some for our setup at work.

-Craig
  • Reply 13 of 15
    jante99jante99 Posts: 539member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

[list=1][*]MediaMates are not part of Apple's original "Digital Hub"[*]MediaMates are not designed to specifically work with the iLife suite or the iTunes Music Store[*]MediaMates are boxes that sit on your desk and therefore can be considered "hardware."[/list=1]

My answer, no.

Not to start a flame war but this thread on speakers is in DH.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=28414

So moderators what is the appropriate forum?

From the Posting Guidelines:

Quote:

The Current Hardware forum is the place for discussion of Apple's current hardware offerings. This area should be used to discuss performance (benchmarks), pricing, and comparison of hardware that is currently shipping. Purchasing advice about currently shipping hardware should be posted in General Discussion.

• Reply 14 of 15
    For the love of Pete, put this thread into whatever forum you think, moderators. It's really six of one, half a dozen of the other as far as I'm concerned.

I guess no one else of the 12,000+ members here use MediaMates. Wow, do I feel special.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

For the love of Pete, put this thread into whatever forum you think, moderators. It's really six of one, half a dozen of the other as far as I'm concerned.

I guess no one else of the 12,000+ members here use MediaMates. Wow, do I feel special.

your pretty special, in your own way...

I like bose speakers, they are affordable and offer great sound quality. I mean, how many self-proclaimed audiophiles go out and spend $300 dollars on a set of speakers... almost none. They spend thousands or they build their own.

From bose ive had in past i found they could always handle much more than their rated power, the opposite of many speakers in their price range. and they had a rock solid midrange where many speakers these days languish.

Enjoy your purchase! and remember what sounds good to you or me may be totally different to someone else (i have a mild midrange hearing loss so thats certainly a factor).

cheers

ps. dont worry about the 'which forum' kefuffle, just pick the one you think is best and ignore the ai nitpickers, everyone needs to keep busy... and some more than others