PowerBook G4 12" RAM

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I am probably getting a 12" PowerBook to hold me off until next year when I head off to college and buy a G5. I figure it would be nice to take it up to a 60GB HD and max out the RAM. I was wondering where is the cheapest place to buy RAM for it, and how much it can *really* hold.

I know I've heard that 640MB is just the rated limit that was what it was tested up to, and that if you buy a bigger stick you can fit more in...safely?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    stevesteve Posts: 523member
    Unless you're doing Photoshop, complex Maya work, or Final Cut Pro, you don't need more than 640MB of RAM. Everyone makes a big deal out of the limit, but I think it's nonsense.

I suggest just buying from Apple with the Edu discount and maxed out RAM. Sure, you can get the RAM from elsewhere for slightly cheaper, but you'll have to get rid of a 128MB stick if you do.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    You can buy a 1 GB SODIMM for the PowerBook G4 12", raising the RAM to 1.125 GB. However, such SODIMMs are prohibitively expensive so you would probably be better off staying with a 512 MB. Definitely max out the hard drive when you buy it though, because you can't easily replace the hard drive without voiding your warranty.

As far as where to get the RAM... you can try a Mac-oriented place, like ramseeker.com to get prices. Or you could go to a generic PC outlet like NewEgg.com or GoogleGear.com and look for a 512 MB PC2100 SODIMM. Kingston makes inexpensive RAM which is quite good (I bought a stick from them for a PC I made once), and if you want more premium RAM you could try Crucial. Or you could just BTO it with Apple to save some hassle, but that could cost even more than Crucial (which is already expensive as it is).

And finally, this is my 2000th post! Woohoo! I'm so... uh... proud? Or perhaps ashamed... but this is cool, lots of stuff has been happening recently. I went to a strip club for the first time on Saturday night, and got a lap dance... yowza. And I've started biking every day as well.