ATA Bus Question

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a cheap PC I have made into a game server. It has 2 IDE buses.

Right now, IDE bus 1 has...

Master = New ATA/133 fast hard drive (with 8 MB cache)

Slave = Generic CD ROM drive (probably a slower bus that ATA/133, right?)

Question: If the CD ROM drive is a slower device (i.e.; ATA/66, etc), will it make the hard drive perform slower? I mean does the IDE bus 1's controller slow-down to the slowest device's speed ofn the bus?

Would it be better to put the CD ROM drive on IDE bus 2 and set it to Master? That way the hard drive will be on its own dedicated controller, right?

I don't plan on ading any more devices, so I don't care about "wasting" a controller.

Computer specs:

AMD 1.4 GHz

1.0 GB RAM

Maxtor DiamondMax 60 GB 7200 rpm ATA/133 (8 MB cache)

Gigabyte mobo 266 FSB

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    Yeah, from what I understand, having the CD ROM on the same ATA channel as the hard drive will slow it down when the CD ROM is being accessed. On my PC, I have my HDs and CD/DVD drives on seperate channels. CD/DVD drives are ATA/33, not ATA/66 or 133 but they have much slower transfer rates and wouldn't even saturate the ATA/33.

Quote:

Originally posted by dstranathan

I have a cheap PC I have made into a game server. It has 2 IDE buses.

Right now, IDE bus 1 has...

Master = New ATA/133 fast hard drive (with 8 MB cache)

Slave = Generic CD ROM drive (probably a slower bus that ATA/133, right?)

Question: If the CD ROM drive is a slower device (i.e.; ATA/66, etc), will it make the hard drive perform slower? I mean does the IDE bus 1's controller slow-down to the slowest device's speed ofn the bus?

Would it be better to put the CD ROM drive on IDE bus 2 and set it to Master? That way the hard drive will be on its own dedicated controller, right?

I don't plan on ading any more devices, so I don't care about "wasting" a controller.

Computer specs:

AMD 1.4 GHz

1.0 GB RAM

Maxtor DiamondMax 60 GB 7200 rpm ATA/133 (8 MB cache)

Gigabyte mobo 266 FSB