Wacom Tablet suddenly not responding under X

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi,

I have a dual G4 450 sawtooth running jagwire 10.2.6. I have had a wacom graphire 2 attached to it for a while now instead of the pro mouse and everything has been fine. Today I used BootCD to create a bootable disk which worked fine (it booted up once I had logged on as root). However the wacom mouse failed to register. I then rebooted back of the hard drive and wacom still failed to function. If I launch the wacom control panel it tells me that the tablet driver did not load. The light on the tablet comes up ok and if I boot into 9 then the mouse and tablet suddenly work. I then removed the driver from X and rebooted. Lo and behold the wacom mouse worked - albeit as just a single button mouse. the minute I installed the driver for the wacom again it immediately stopped working and the wacom control panel claims the driver did not loaad. I have fixed permissions on the drive and am totally baffled.

any ideas folk?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Not sure, I have a Wacom tablet at work running 10.2.6 and it works fine. I'd call Wacom, that is normally the best answer.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    Hmmm... Wacom tablet & Boot CD user here, with no troubles.

Tried the obvious, like repairing permissions, and Disk Warrior yet?

CV
  • Reply 3 of 5
    spookyspooky Posts: 504member
    Hi Guys,

thanx for your replies. Yes I have tried both of your suggestions re permissions and warrior and nothing seems to be out of the ordinary.

But . . .

This is where things get really weird. Prior to using BootCD I could have the pro mouse and wacom mouse in use and the wacom would always work. No problems. Now however, the wacom has so far today worked, then not worked then worked, then not worked and is now working again. What I have found is that if I start up the machine with the pro mouse plugged in then the wacom driver fails to load and the tablet will not function. If I pull out the pro mouse and then reboot, then sometimes the wacom mouse and tablet work (like its doing now).

does anyone know what is going on? This is the first headache I've really had with my G4 since I bought it two years ago. I don't understand why suddenly I can't have both mice in use at the same time the way I have done for several months.

BTW the pro mouse is plugged into the keyboard and the wacom graphire tablet is plugged into the second USB Port.

thanx in advance
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by spooky

does anyone know what is going on? This is the first headache I've really had with my G4 since I bought it two years ago. I don't understand why suddenly I can't have both mice in use at the same time the way I have done for several months.

BTW the pro mouse is plugged into the keyboard and the wacom graphire tablet is plugged into the second USB Port.

thanx in advance

suggestions:

-I'm currently building new systems right now and upon first startup after installing the 4.73 (make sure you have the latest drivers and os 10.2.6) wacom tablet driver with the tablet installed it fails to recognize the tablets presence because the drivers didn't load. After a shutdown and a second startup it loads the drivvers no problem.

-make sure the tablet is plugged in directly your station (not keyboard).

-could it have been that you installed new drivers or added some new update/installation that prevents two mice now from both functioning as they were before. Maybe the second mouse is drawing more power due to some other update that the keyboard isn't able to feed as it was before... just speculating.

-reset pram?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    spookyspooky Posts: 504member
    Hi Dark Seraph,

Quote:

suggestions:

-I'm currently building new systems right now and upon first startup after installing the 4.73 (make sure you have the latest drivers and os 10.2.6) wacom tablet driver with the tablet installed it fails to recognize the tablets presence because the drivers didn't load. After a shutdown and a second startup it loads the drivvers no problem.

this is kinda what I'm finding by and large although sometimes the wacom fails to load at all even after a couple of start ups.

Quote:

-make sure the tablet is plugged in directly your station (not keyboard).

the wacom is and has always been plugged into the baack of the mac - I've never changed it

Quote:

-could it have been that you installed new drivers or added some new update/installation that prevents two mice now from both functioning as they were before. Maybe the second mouse is drawing more power due to some other update that the keyboard isn't able to feed as it was before... just speculating.

I haven't installed anything for months! the very last thing that I did prior to things going haywire was to make a bootable disk via BootCD. I boot with the cd and of course there were no wacom drivers and so I had to use the pro mouse. when I rebooted to X on the startup HD the wacom still failed to function

Quote:

-reset pram?

is this still done with CMD-OPT-P-R as in OS9?

thanx