Free Mike Hawash

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
This is ridiculous! Mike Hawash was arrested in the parking lot at Intel in March, and was held without even being charged with a crime. He is only being held as a material witness. Mike has a job, a home, a family, and deep roots in his community.



If you can, please go to Free Mike Hawash and donate what you can to his defense fund.



We need to stop this, and free this poor man!

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 7
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,261member
    Oh shit, nevermind.



    He's ****ing guilty.



    Some background info on the case. It's a funny read now that he's pleaded guilty.
  • Reply 2 of 7
  • Reply 3 of 7
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,261member
    What a difference a good razor makes.



    The "help me, I'm innocent" photo:











    The "we got the bastard" photo:



  • Reply 4 of 7
    ah so he's amish too! BASTARD!
  • Reply 5 of 7
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    Serious question:



    Does the fact that he has admitted guilt (a plea bargain) make it OK that he was held without trial for such a long time under provisions that many US lawyers consider an abuse both of the US constitution, his rights under it, and his wider human rights? And the conditions he was held under were extremely harsh for someone held as a 'material witness'? And that people held under similar conditions have turned out to be innocent?



    No trolling here, but I think this is the difference between my attitude and some on these boards. I say the answer is "No, it is not right."
  • Reply 6 of 7
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Harald

    Does the fact that he has admitted guilt (a plea bargain) make it OK that he was held without trial for such a long time under provisions that many US lawyers consider an abuse both of the US constitution, his rights under it, and his wider human rights?



    I'd say of course not. If for no other reason than someone held in this way might eventually plea bargain just to get the ordeal over-with rather than waiting for the light at the end of the tunnel that might otherwise never arise.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Harald

    Serious question:



    Does the fact that he has admitted guilt (a plea bargain) make it OK that he was held without trial for such a long time under provisions that many US lawyers consider an abuse both of the US constitution, his rights under it, and his wider human rights?




    Due process was in effect. So he had his day in court. His guilt would only make it more palatable. What do I care if he was held in solitary if in the end he's sentenced to solitary?



    Quote:

    Originally posted by Harald

    And the conditions he was held under were extremely harsh for someone held as a 'material witness'? And that people held under similar conditions have turned out to be innocent?



    Define "extremely harsh".
Sign In or Register to comment.