Gigaflop Factor?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
What's the Gigaflop factor of the new G5? It doesn't say on the website. Is there one? The Dual 1.42Ghz had a gigaflop factor of 21 gigaflops. I would think the new 2Ghz G5 dualy would have something close to 38 Gflops.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    I don't think Apple's using that anymore. It was just a part of the Megahertz Myth. Now that they are closer in terms of clockspeed to Intel, it's not as important.

I think that the G5 would probably have a higher gigaflop factor thanks to its 1GHz bus(does that affect the gigaflop rating?).
  • Reply 2 of 6
    My guess is that the "Gigflop" rating of the new machines is not very impressive, I believe apple relied heavily on the Altivec performance of the G4 for those numbers and the G5s' VMX (altivec, velocity engine) unit is not quite as robust as that of the 7450. The whole "Gigaflop" rating may have been more of a marketing thing than a performance thing. And now that Apple has a real performance winner it doesn't need pure hype anymore. Just a guess.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    henriokhenriok Posts: 537member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Major Tom

My guess is that the "Gigflop" rating of the new machines is not very impressive

The 970 is capable of pulling 7.2 scalar GFLOPs and 14.4 SIMD GFLOPs @ 1.8 GHz. I don't think they can do scalar and vector FLOPs in parallell so that'd make a peak performace of 24.8 GFLOPs using two processors.

Extrapolating to 2 GHz would make it 8 GFLOPs scalar and 16 GFLOPs SIMD. Times two: 32 GFLOPs.

I really don't know how relevant this figure is though, i just provide the numbers. I got them from the presentation IBM made at MPF'02.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Major Tom

My guess is that the "Gigflop" rating of the new machines is not very impressive, I believe apple relied heavily on the Altivec performance of the G4 for those numbers and the G5s' VMX (altivec, velocity engine) unit is not quite as robust as that of the 7450.

While this is true, the buses of the PMG4 motherboards were not able to keep up with the most recent G4's Altivec unit. The huge bandwidth of the G5's motherboard buses at least get the most out of the Altivec unit they have.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    The AltiVec Unit in the 970 isn't as robust as the G4's, I would think if any they'd be better. If it's "downgraded" how will programs that rely of this technology to run at a high performance benifit from a faster clock speed? (I mean yeah faster clock speed yeah, but also no. The better they can enhance AltiVec the better. AltiVec2 takes 256Bit's of data instead of 128. The AltiVec unit could increase performance to a higer level if enhanced more than faster clock speeds would. (keeping in mind that were working with nothing faster than 7Ghz.) After it reaches speeds of over 7000Mhz added technologies wont be needed because of the high freqency of the processor, not to mention the FSB speeds, (Probably around 4Ghz (1Ghz X4) If programmers would then adjust there code to take full advantage of AltiVec2 (almost fully dependable), I think they would see better performance increase. I'm no processor expert, From working on a 500Mhz G3 to a 500Mhz G4, the AltiVec performance gain was really noticed alot.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
    Kickaha and Amorph couldn't moderate themselves out of a paper bag. Abdicate responsibility and succumb to idiocy. Two years of letting a member make personal attacks against others, then stepping aside when someone won't put up with it. Not only that but go ahead and shut down my posting priviledges but not the one making the attacks. Not even the common decency to abide by their warning (afer three days of absorbing personal attacks with no mods in sight), just shut my posting down and then say it might happen later if a certian line is crossed. Bullshit flag is flying, I won't abide by lying and coddling of liars who go off-site, create accounts differing in a single letter from my handle with the express purpose to decieve and then claim here that I did it. Everyone be warned, kim kap sol is a lying, deceitful poster.

Now I guess they should have banned me rather than just shut off posting priviledges, because kickaha and Amorph definitely aren't going to like being called to task when they thought they had it all ignored *cough* *cough* I mean under control. Just a couple o' tools.

Don't worry, as soon as my work resetting my posts is done I'll disappear forever.