Photoshop and Text

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
How do I get the Text that I create in photoshop to be crisp and clear. When ever I print it out it's always all pixilly. I want it to look like text that you'd print from appleworks. Nice and sharp

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    You don't. PhotoShop text is always 'pixelly', because PS is a pixel-based program. To get crisp text you need to do one of two things:

1) Work at between 400-600 dpi actual size and your text will be pretty darn crisp from an inkjet printer.

2) Use your PS image as a background layer in Illustrator or Freehand and create your type in one of those two 'vector-based' programs. Illustrator will also let you copy&paste text from PS, although you'll want to tweak your kerning a bit.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Um, text in Photoshop is vector-based.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Say What? You're either high or know something I don't. Please prove yourself either way.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    I set the pixals per inch to 500, and it's still printing pixalated
  • Reply 5 of 10
    doxxdoxx Posts: 41member
    what kind of printer u using? maybe the font file is f$%&§" up
  • Reply 6 of 10
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Probably obvious, but make sure anti-aliasing is turned off.

And yes, Photoshop 7 has basic support for vector images.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

Probably obvious, but make sure anti-aliasing is turned off.

And yes, Photoshop 7 has basic support for vector images.

Get a good printer, 300dpi will provide smooth text
  • Reply 8 of 10
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

Get a good printer, 300dpi will provide smooth text

Is that directed to me or did you hit reply by accident?

Anyway, I do have a good printer, a Epson 2200 and get wonderful results. (Ink i$ expen$ive)
  • Reply 9 of 10
    I have a epson C80, I'm printing my documents at 2880x1440dpi.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    If you are using PS 6 or 7, select your text. There is a drop-down setting in the top bar that allows you to change the the "quality" of the type. Check that. Just as importantly, check your resolution and make sure that it is high enough (as the other guys stated above).

To get the best resolution from text, you can place your photoshop art (without the text) into an Illustrator file and then place the text on top as Illustrator, vector text.

Good luck