iBook won't output to TV

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have an iBook 800 and an iBook 500 here, and an Apple A/V cable (mini to RCA) hooked up to a TV. The older iBook 500 has no problems outputting to the TV; I plug everything in and bam, video shows. the iBook/800, however, isn't outputting any video. I tried sleeping/restarting with video cable in to no avail, and pram/pmu reset does nothing. Detect displays does nothing either, and changing resolutions do not affect it. Any idea what's wrong?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,563member
    When you open the Display control panel does it even think it is trying to connect to an external display?

Assuming it is still in warranty I would try contacting Apple. If you are near a store take it in and have them check it.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    I don't get anything changing in monitors sys prefs (ibook 500 gives me NTSC and PAL stuff).

But, I tried it again on ANOTHER ibook 800, and it doesn't work. What am I supposed to do to the last iBook 800s to get the AV cable working?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    lemonlemon Posts: 29member
    Quote:

Originally posted by chych

I don't get anything changing in monitors sys prefs (ibook 500 gives me NTSC and PAL stuff).

But, I tried it again on ANOTHER ibook 800, and it doesn't work. What am I supposed to do to the last iBook 800s to get the AV cable working?

I think the newer (600 and up) iBooks use a different adapter. You have to use the VGA out for the video. And the headphone jack for the audio. Search the Apple store for "Apple Video Adapter". That will work with the 800. It should be about 20 dollars.

The cable you have will never work on the newer iBooks.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    I can't remember exactly, but if you hook it up to the TV, log out, then log back in, the TV should now have a mirror image of your iBook's screen. Do a search on Apple's iBook Discussions forum for my (same name) topic on this issue.

But, also heed to post right above this one. Make sure you're using the right cable. The newer iBooks don't use the 3.5mm to RCA cable for TV output.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Ah geez, a different adapter... thanks Apple, a lot! Stupid expensive cables.