My rave review for JBL's Creature

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
My dad's birthday was a couple of days ago, and I decided to buy him some speakers for his computer, because any kid of audio sucks on an internal speaker. So I surprised him and dragged him into an Applestore so he could have his choice in speakers. We eventually decided on the Creatures, and we drove home with a set of silver ones.

I set the things up for him, and I noticed how well the hardware was designed. A child could set these things up, even without instructions. All the wiring was color- and shape- coded, so mis-plugging the satellites was impossible.

After they were all plugged in, I played a couple of CD's on the Mac. I was blown away. The base was rich and full, giving audio a very satisfying thump. Classical music is played with wonderful cripness in the treble range, and spoken word is just right, nicely reinforced with base. Although this system probably isn't for people blasting metallica, it provides the sound of a much bigger system.

Now for the aesthetics. The system, while extremely alien, looks good even in tame surroundings. On the underside of each satellite, there is a small green LED, giving the system the look of a fleet of UFOs. The solid-state volume controls, located on the right satellite, were nice because they adjusted with minimal effort. Bass and Treble balance is available through the main unit (the subwoofer), in independant knobs.

I would HIGHLY reccomend this system (I posted this thread for a reason, you know!), and at $129, they fit any budget.

Small system, small price, BIG sound.

-Placebo

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

I would HIGHLY reccomend this system (I posted this thread for a reason, you know!), and at $129, they fit any budget.

i think they just recently (within the past few months) dropped the price down to $129... i think they were around $179 before, and that was just too pricey.

out of curiosity, are they usb speakers, or do they connect to the standard audio-out jack on the computer? plus, can you adjust the sound and balance via the sound system preference, or is it all controlled by the knobs and buttons on the speakers themselves?
  • Reply 2 of 28
    reactorreactor Posts: 27member
    They do have touch-sensitive buttons, as described here.

apple store

But with the upcoming G5 and it's 5.1 support wouldn't this be the better option?

.........apple store again

I'm wondering what sound system to get for my "G5-to arrive".
  • Reply 3 of 28
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by reactor

[B]They do have touch-sensitive buttons, as described here.

yeah, i've seen the product photography for them, but i want to know if it is possible to use software to control them. why? because depending on where you place them for maximum effect, the knobs on the satellites or subwoofer may be quite difficult to access. i mean, i do NOT want to be hunched down underneath my desk reaching for the woofer every time i want to adjust the bass.
  • Reply 4 of 28
    coolmaccoolmac Posts: 259member
    I got my Creatures about a year ago from Provantage.com for $82.00

Definitely do a search on pricegrabber.com, you can do much better than $129.

They do sound great for there size and function.
  • Reply 5 of 28
    The Creatures are head-phone jack based. The Harmon-Kardon Sound Sticks are USB based. So was the iSub, which seems to be discontinued. It showed up as a separate, connected speaker in the Mac OS Sound panel, where you adjust it's level. Not sure if the Sound Sticks do as well.
  • Reply 6 of 28
    I heard the G5 has digital audio out. Will any speakers take advantage of this?
  • Reply 7 of 28
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
    Kickaha and Amorph couldn't moderate themselves out of a paper bag. Abdicate responsibility and succumb to idiocy. Two years of letting a member make personal attacks against others, then stepping aside when someone won't put up with it. Not only that but go ahead and shut down my posting priviledges but not the one making the attacks. Not even the common decency to abide by their warning (afer three days of absorbing personal attacks with no mods in sight), just shut my posting down and then say it might happen later if a certian line is crossed. Bullshit flag is flying, I won't abide by lying and coddling of liars who go off-site, create accounts differing in a single letter from my handle with the express purpose to decieve and then claim here that I did it. Everyone be warned, kim kap sol is a lying, deceitful poster.

Now I guess they should have banned me rather than just shut off posting priviledges, because kickaha and Amorph definitely aren't going to like being called to task when they thought they had it all ignored *cough* *cough* I mean under control. Just a couple o' tools.

Don't worry, as soon as my work resetting my posts is done I'll disappear forever.
  • Reply 8 of 28
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Man you are talking me into them! Keep talking...

I was surprised at the dearth of results looking for speakers online. I work at Sears now and they had nothing. I want $129 or less 2.1 speakers with a regular audio plug for my PBG4 12" and my amp at home in the summer time. Has to be powerful with good frequency range. Looks, I don't care, but the Creatures are kind of cool. Remote, I don't care. I have a Keyspan remote and wireless mouse, my PB is my stereo.
  • Reply 9 of 28
    rbfoyerbfoye Posts: 77member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Man you are talking me into them! Keep talking...

I was surprised at the dearth of results looking for speakers online. I work at Sears now and they had nothing. I want $129 or less 2.1 speakers with a regular audio plug for my PBG4 12" and my amp at home in the summer time. Has to be powerful with good frequency range. Looks, I don't care, but the Creatures are kind of cool. Remote, I don't care. I have a Keyspan remote and wireless mouse, my PB is my stereo.

Dude -

Get these Altec Lansing speakers at Apple store. Much cheaper than Creature ($100 US total), and sound is much more powerfull. I have two Apples - creature on backup and these on main computer. Much better!!!!!!!!!

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...Dr4/1.3.0.5.10

Apple Store Creature
  • Reply 10 of 28
    ryukyuryukyu Posts: 450member
    Check out the factory refurbed Klipsch Promedia 2.1.

Only $99.99 and they blow away the Creatures or the Soundsticks.

Refurbished Promedia 2.1
  • Reply 11 of 28
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Thanks, coolmac...www.provantage.com has them for under $85.
  • Reply 12 of 28
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    I bought the Hercules XPS 210 system and absolutely love the audio quality. They are now about a year and a half old.

The only thing that I dont like, and I dont know if this is normal for all speakers, is that unless you turn off the power, they hum a bit. Power hum. Is it because of bad shielding?

Hercules XPS210
  • Reply 13 of 28
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Yes that is normal. The ratio of noise to music is important though, it should be as minimal as possible. I'm so confused, which of these 3 speaker sets to get! All I've seen from Altec Lansing is those shitbox tin cans that come with Packard Bells and used to come with Dells and Compaqs a few years ago. You know, the $2 speakers that aren't louder than a good pair of headphones. Same with JBL. My Compaq came with JBLs and they're..meh. Klipsch, dunno. What are the differences? Has anyone heard them all?
  • Reply 14 of 28
    I have other Klipsch speakers, and they are top-notch, high quality, and VERY good sounding speakers. The trouble is, unless you are willing to pay $180, you have to buy refurbished speakers. Of course, they don't look as nice as the Creature speakers. I'm willing to bet they sound better than just about any speaker out there though.

I'm leaning toward the JBL Creatures because sound is nice, but looks are important too. Why else is everyone oogling the G5 case?
  • Reply 15 of 28
    tkntkn Posts: 224member
    I just wish there were more good-looking white/silver speakers out there. Klipsch has a set of Star Wars edition speakers that look sweet, but they are charging a fortune. There are the Creative I-Trigues, but supposedly lack midrange. There are also larger speakers than the Creatures called the Invaders.

The Logitechs have gotten awesome reviews, but they just look cheap. I don't think anyone has created the perfect speaker.
  • Reply 16 of 28
    jante99jante99 Posts: 539member
    You can get the Promedia 4.1 speakers for only 129 here: http://store.klipsch.com/details.asp?ProdID=35

Two more speakers for only 29 dollars more.
  • Reply 17 of 28
    Just adding my endorsement to the Creatures.

The silver ones (94 bucks, no tax, no shipping at Amazon) look really sharp with my PB 12". Sound is good quality throughout volume range.
  • Reply 18 of 28
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I'd say, 'Get the Creatures'. You really won't regret it.
  • Reply 19 of 28
    jante99jante99 Posts: 539member
    How small would the "cosmetic imperfections" be on the Klipsch speakers? Would chipped paint and dents or just little scratches.
  • Reply 20 of 28
    Alright, you convinced me. I purchased the JBL Creatures last night. Should look great next to my G5 when it comes.