iSight on a slow machine

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Anybody heard of drivers that could be used to connect an iSight camera to a 500 mhz g3 machine. I can use a video camera now, so I know it's capable of handling the video signal. I just need a driver for the cam.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    iChatUSBCam 1.0 seems to work.

Read the feedback.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    tacojohntacojohn Posts: 980member
    So this would allow me to use an iSight with my 500 iBook?

I don't want to buy an iSight and then have it end up not working...
  • Reply 3 of 4
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    From xlr8yourmac.com's iChat AV Feedback:

Quote:

" Hi Mike, Installing iChatUSBCam(beta2) with the accompanying required programs (macam 0.8 and Application Enhancer) allowed the use of a USB webacm on G3's with less than the required 600 MHz speed. I tried it on an iBook 500. The video was choppy but liveable. (Performance is primarily why Apple requires a G4 or a faster G3)

When you first launch iChat, only the audio icon comes out beside your name. You have to go to the Video menu and click on "Enable Camera". The camera icon then comes out and clicking on it will allow you to see a preview and set up preferences. You do have to enable the camera everytime you launch iChat.

An added bonus : With iChatUSBCAM installed, you can use your iSight camera on G3's with less than the required 600MHz speed!

Jose L.

(Since the iChatUSB cam page had a note that about reports it didn't work with Firewire cams with under 600MHz G3 CPUs, I asked Jose to verify he actually tried it with an iSight and he wrote)

Yes, I am using an iSight with an iBook G3 500. I have also successfully used iSight on a PowerBook Pismo G3 500. You do have to enable the camera from the menu every time you launch iChat though.

Jose "

• Reply 4 of 4
    norfanorfa Posts: 171member
    I'm hoping to use ,y iSight camera with cu-seeme software. I currently use the OSX beta version of Vchat on my 800 mhz machine, because the driver loads with iChat AV. Vchat however doesn't allow me to use my log in at refs where I am a member, so I'd like to be able to enable either my 800mhz g4 to use iSight out of OS 9. (Cu-seeme doesn't run from OSX) YOu can use a firewire camera with cu-seeme if you boot from OS9 but not from classic. It's getting a little tiring. I love the camera, it's by far the best webcam for the bucks, but it's lack of flexibility is a little distressing.